7 Best Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes (2020 Review)
Meal replacement shakes have been a life-saving discovery; that have allowed me to get complete nutrition in a simple manner. The best shakes provide you with all the nutrients you need; including vitamins and minerals, and omega-3 (often lacking in Western diets). Not only that, but they have allowed me to control what I eat, manage my weight better and avoid crappy nutrient void meals. It has been a great boost for my health.
Among the hundreds of products that I’ve tried; many of them were vegan shakes. Fully plant based meal replacements are gaining popularity, and consequently, identifying the best vegan drinks has become harder. There are many vegan shakes out there that contain hidden ingredients, vitamins from animal origin; or simply provide you with subpar nutrition.
Thus, using my vast experience in the field, I’ve compiled this list of the best vegan meal replacement shakes you can buy; no matter where you live. Looking for a high protein vegan shake? I’ve got one for you. What about a soy-free vegan meal shake? You will also find one in the list.
Get the ideal vegan meal replacement shake today!
Meet the Expert
My name is Enaut and I’m the founder Latestfuels. I aim to provide high-quality information, so you can make a safe choice.
Since creating the site I’ve tried over 100 meal replacement products, many of which plant-based. Here, I’ve collected my favourites or those who I believe to be the best.
Over 50h of Research
+75 Products Assessed
Top Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes
1. Ambronite Complete Meal Shake
Best Vegan Shake
- Shakes from real food based on nuts, fruits and vegetables
- 3 flavours to choose from
- Fully plant based with no-GMO, lactose-free, soy free, wheat free, no artificial ingredients
- Available worldwide
- Strong vegetable taste
- Best way to buy is in bulk
Ambronite Complete Meal Shake is one of the most premium vegan shakes you can buy. Part of the reason for this is that they don’t rely on cheap synthetic additives for micronutrients to provide you with the essential nutrients your body needs.
Instead, they use ingredients such as oats, apple, spinach, kale, almonds… These give a very natural, green taste to the shakes. They are healthy vegan smoothies that provide you with 24g of protein per shake, plenty of essential omega-3 fatty acids; and all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
Unfortunately, this has a “negative” effect on the price, and the meals start at $6.5. Thus, I recommend you buying in bulk (to lower the price by up to $2) and use the code LATESTFUELS for 25% OFF in your purchase).
Start with all three flavour and see which one you like best. I love Ginger & Apple (or Original).
Ambronite v5 Ingredients: Oat protein, almonds*, oats*, apple, agave syrup*, oat fiber, nettle leaf*, spinach*, flaxseed*, chlorella*, spirulina, cranberry, bilberry, black currant, sea buckthorn, nutritional yeast, mineral salt, natural aromas, guar gum, vanilla. * = organic
Complete Meal Shake includes nuts and perhaps traces of gluten (cross-contamination).
|per serving||CMS||RI (%)
Good For: are willing to pay extra for a high quality complete meal only made with fruits, vegetables and nuts.
Best Vegan RTD
- Ultra smooth, flavourful ready to drink shakes
- 7 delicious flavours to choose from: Banana, Cacao, Strawberry…
- Some of the easiest vegan shakes to like
- Also available with caffeine
- More processed ingredients
- Only available in the US
- Contains soy
Soylent is the original vegan meal replacement. Although it started as a powder, it’s the ready to drinks (RTD) that have gained popularity. This is due to them being smoother, better mixed and generally much better tasting.
On top of that, the range of flavour Soylent offers is unparalleled in the US: Banana, Creamy Cacao, Original, Vanilla, Strawberry, Cafe Mocha, Cafe Chai… There is a vegan shake for everybody. I love Creamy Cacao and Cafe Mocha.
Another great aspect of Soylent is that you can take it anywhere, and enjoy your healthy vegan meal no matter where you are. Great if you often have to opt for boring, unhealthy options. Get 20g of protein, less than 1g of sugar, 28 vitamins and minerals, all gluten-free and vegan.
Soylent: filtered water, soy protein isolate, maltodextrin, high oleic sunflower oil, allulose, canola oil, natural flavors, cellulose, vitamin and mineral premix, soluble corn fiber, soy lecithin, salt, gellan gum, sucralose.
Some ingredients could be GM.
|per serving||Soylent Drink||DV (%)
Good For: those who are looking for taste and convenience.
3. Ample V
Best Low Carb Shake
- US company that produces real food based shakes
- Smooth and sweet delicious Berry shake
- Designed to improve your gut health: includes probiotics and prebiotics
- No synthetic additives, no soy, no gluten no GMO ingredients
- Only one flavour available
- Does not contain all vitamins and minerals
Ample’s objective is to provide with and all natural shake that will help boost your health. They are particularly interested on boosting your gut health with prebiotics, probiotics, antioxidants and polyphenols. All from 20+ superfoods: acacia fibre, macadamia, raspberry, carrots…
Despite this nutrition oriented design of their shakes, Ample V fails to deliver all essential micronutrients. On the flip side, they include naturally occurring minerals like iron or calcium and vitamin B12. Ample’s are also the best gluten free vegan meal replacements.
One last thing to mention is that Ample V is very low-carb, and rich in fats; which might help you lose weight.
Lastly, it’s worth mentioning how surprisingly smooth Ample meals are. Truly a delight of a vegan drink. One of the best berry flavours I’ve tried.
Ample V: Organic pea protein, coconut oil, high oleic sunflower oil, whole grain oat powder, acacia fiber, organic rice protein, raspberry powder, macadamia nut oil, sunflower lecithin, tapioca dextrin, pure maple sugar, carront powder, organic wheatgrass, sea salt, natural flavours, lemon juice powder, organic guar gum, organic kale powder, organic barley grass, probiotic blend (L. acidophilius, L. paracasei, B. lactis, L. rhamnosus, Bacillus coagulans), monk fruit extract, stevia extract.
Ample shakes have coconut and macadamia nut.
|per serving||Ample V||DV (%)
Good For: ideal for those looking to strengthen their digestive health.
4. Plenny Shake
- More than 5 flavours to choose from
- Easy to like, oat based meals
- Very affordable; less than $1.75/meal
- Also available as a high protein mix
- Available worldwide
- Contains soy
- More processed ingredients, some of which might be GMO
- Low fiber content
Plenny Shake is the star product of the popular Dutch brand Jimmyjoy. The secrets to this plant based meal replacement powder are simple: affordable and tasty. Upon this formula, Plenny Shake has won the stomach of many enthusiasts.
The original Plenny Shake provides you with 20g of protein (from soy), a balanced set of essential fatty acids, and all the vitamins and minerals you need. Unlike other popular shakes, it is a little richer in carbs. Alternatively, you can buy Plenny Shake Active, which comes with 27g of protein per meal (400kcal).
Regarding the flavours; there are 6 to choose from: Chocolate, Vanilla, Mango, Strawberry, Banana and Coffee. Both Vanilla and Mango are pretty delicious.
Plenny Shake (strawberry): oatmeal, soy flour, maltodextrin, sunflower oil, soy protein isolate, inulin, ground golden flaxseed, vitamin- and mineral-mix. Freeze-dried strawberry powder, flavouring, colouring: beetroot; sweetener: sucralose.
Plenny Shake contains soy and gluten from oats.
|per serving||Plenny Shake||DV (%)
Good For: people who are looking for an affordable tasty meal.
5. Keto Meal Shake
Best Vegan Keto Shake
- Only plant-based keto shake
- Great to lose weight with
- Delicious, creamy chocolate flavour
- Ships worldwide
- Does not provide all micronutrients
- Need to buy in bulk for best price
Keto meal shake is the best vegan keto shake. Fully plant based keto meal shakes are hard to come by; however, Ambronite’s shake fills the gap excellently.
For once, it offers a very simple vegan keto meal: you only need to add water (no need for adding your own oil). Besides, it is one of the best tasting chocolate shakes you’ll find: creamy, rich chocolate, with lovely chocolate chunks.
For these two reasons I have it among the best keto shakes.
Furthermore, it is also soy-free, contains no synthetic additives, and provides you with nutrients from real food. Unfortunately, it does fail to include all micronutrients, though.
Looking at the price, each meal starts at $5.5. Again, I recommend you buy in bulk and make use of the code LATESTFUELS (25% extra OFF) to get the best deal.
Ingredients: Sunflower lecithin, Complete Plant Protein™ (pea protein, sunflower seed protein, pumpkin seed protein), cacao (14 %), MCT powder (coconut oil, acacia fiber), coconut milk, xylitol, natural flavours, almond, psyllium, chia seed, vegetable powders (spinach, carrot, beetroot, nettle), nutritional yeast, mineral salt, spirulina, natural digestive enzyme (bromelain, Ananas comosus), ProbioVita™ live bacterial cultures (Bacillus coagulans), stevia, maltodextrin.
As for all ketogenic meal replacements, this is mainly healthy fats with added MCT from coconut. Plus, you will get some micronutrients from spinach, carrot and nettle leaf.
Keto meal shake contains coconut and almonds.
|per serving||Keto Meal Shake||RI (%)
Good For: looking for a plant based ketogenic shake; or a shake to lose weight with.
6. Purition Vegan
Best Natural Shake
- Gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free and free of artificial additives. No gums or emulsifiers either
- 12 different flavours; some as unique as Beetroot, Pistachio or Chocolate Orange
- Unique protein sources (hemp)
- Great taster packs
- I recommend using a blender
- Not fully complete
Purition is a British meal replacement shake manufacturer that makes low carb, gluten-free, food based meals. They rely on nuts, seeds and high quality protein to provide with the nutrition you require.
As some other shakes in the list, Purition makes natural shakes without additives. They don’t even use emulsifiers or gums to prevent the shake from being more bloating. This has a peculiar effect in the texture; and does not mix as well if you don’t use a blender. I would add your favourite plant based milk to craft a tasty dairy-free meal replacement shake.
Their shakes taste raw, healthy, nutty and leave you with a fresh mouthfeel. All 11 different flavours offer a unique experience. I love the Walnut & Coffee, for instance, with the raw coffee flavour.
Regarding the cost of the meals, Purition is not the cheapest (nor the most expensive), and provides with good value for money.
Ingredients (Chocolate Orange): Proprietary Vegan Protein Blend (Pea, Rice and Hemp protein blend), Golden Flaxseed, Sunflower Kernels, Coconut (sulfate free), ALMONDS, Orange (Freeze Dried) (6.5%), Cocoa (4.5%), Chia Seeds, Pumpkin Seeds, SESAME Seeds, Nutritional Yeast (B-vits), Psyllium Husk (fibre), Apple Pectin (fibre), Steviol Glycosides (Stevia).
Purition might include almonds, sesame, coconut and other nuts.
|per serving||Purition V||DV (%)
Good For: looking for the most natural vegan shake.
7. Powdermatter Original
- Great nutrition at an excellent price
- 30g of protein per 400kcal
- Unique superseed mix to provide you with high quality nutrients
- Gluten-free, no added sugars and all the nutrients you need
- Flavour can be a little bland
- Free shipping only for EU
I love Powdermatter’s vegan meal replacement shake, and it’s one of my daily shakes when I’m not trying out new ones. There’s few reasons for that; like the excellent price/quality ratio, and superb nutrition.
Talking about nutrition, each 400kcal shake will give you 30g of high quality protein. It comes from soy protein isolate, which has the highest PDCAAS (a way to measure absorption) score out of any plant-based protein. On top of that, they also use a unique superseed combination; which is incredibly rich in fiber and nutrients. Great if you despise oats.
These mix gives a cool and unique touch to Powdermatter’s shakes. Personally, I think Chocolate is the best flavour, but the Vanilla is better to mix with bananas, berries or your plant protein of choice (for even more protein!).
Finally, it is worth mentioning the price. For Europeans, it starts at €1.6 per meal and goes as low as €1.10. If you live in the US, you will have to pay shipping fees on top of this.
Varied Complex Carbohydrates mix (organic buckwheat meal, organic amaranth meal, organic quinoa meal, acacia fiber), soy protein isolate, sunflower oil**, golden linseed meal, vitamin & mineral mix**, texture improver: guar gum, xanthan gum, anti caking powder: silicium dioxide sweetener: sucralose.
Powdermatter contains soy.
|per serving||Powdermatter V||RI (%)
Good For: People looking for great nutrition at an affordable price.
Why Go Vegan?
Plant-based diets might be the best way to reduce our personal CO2 impact. Furthermore, they are a great way to improve your health by refining your nutrition; since plants are an amazing source of essential nutrients and phytonutrients. In fact, most Americans fail to reach the dietary guidelines and don’t eat enough vegetables in a daily basis. A habit that increases your chances for cardio-vascular diseases, risk of cancer and other major illnesses.
Thus, incorporating more plant-based meals is a win-win situation. Going vegan is taking this approach to an extreme, and make sure you minimize your environmental impact while keeping your diet in check. Or at least, that’s one of the reasons to do it. There’re plenty more.
In this regard, plant-based meal replacements offer you the best of two worlds: complete and balanced nutrition; and, a sustainable, environmentally friendly meal (minimal packaging, efficient transportation etc.). Plus, they can be a very handy tool to have a vegan meal no matter where you are.
4 Reasons Why Vegan Meal Replacements Are Awesome
Anyway, I suspect that you are already following a vegan diet; and that you have your own reasons to do so, already. You are just looking for the best vegan meal replacement you can buy. Perhaps, you have some doubts if vegan shakes are healthy or what you are looking for.
Here are 4 reasons to ensure you that the plant-based shakes can make your life easier and better:
- Make sure you get all the necessary nutrients. Getting all your vitamins and minerals, a balanced set of nutrients, fats etc. can already be hard on a normal diet. In vegan diets, there are usual suspects like vitamin B12, omega-3 or even protein that might be hard to come by. With meal replacements you can be certain you will get a good dose of each; and thus, avoid common vegan deficiencies.
- Eat healthy and vegan anywhere. Convenience is a huge upside of meal replacement shakes. You can consume them almost anywhere, take them to the office, drink them at home or even travel with them, if you must. I’ve had vegan shakes on airports; where there was no good alternative. Stop having to worry about finding your meal, and eat what you want where you want
- Don’t need to overpay! Unfortunately, many restaurants and food manufacturers use the vegan tag to overprice their products. Even having to buy vegetables in the supermarket can get expensive. With each meal costing as little as $1.2, you will find that vegan shakes fit your budget.
- There’s a huge variety of vegan products; you’ll find what you’re looking for. Whether you want vegan gluten-free shakes; or perhaps soy-free; or organic… there’s a shake out there for you. Fit them to your diet (low-carb, keto, paleo…), get as much protein as you want (from 11g to 30g a meal) and choose the right ingredients for you. Plus, you can opt between shakes, bars and other formats!
Best Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes vs Vegan Protein Shakes
If you are new to the whole meal replacement shake industry, you might have some misconceptions or doubts. A very common one is mistaking plant-based protein shakes with meal replacements. At the end of the day, the protein industry is very keen on promoting their products as alternatives to meals.
Here are few key points to look out for:
|Meal Replacements||Protein Powders|
|Vitamins & Minerals||Yes||No (few exceptions)|
|Focus on protein||No||Yes|
|Based on health guidelines||Yes||No|
|Aim||Replace a meal in a balanced way||Boost your protein intake|
The main difference is that plant-based meal shakes will try to provide you with all the essential nutrients that your body needs; while the protein shakes will primarily boost your protein intake.
If the latter is what you are looking for, here are some suggestions of vegan protein shakes that I like:
Product NamePriceSellsBuy Now
Ambronite Complete Protein$1.50World
Vegan Protein TPW£0.66UK
Best Vegan Meal Replacement Bars and Powder Alternatives
Perhaps, you are looking for vegan meal replacements that are solid. I would recommend checking the best meal replacement bar list, where I mention a few of my favourites. Nonetheless, here are some vegan bars that you might like:
More Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes
Are these all the vegan meal replacement shakes in the market? No, the above are just but my top vegan shakes; the ones that I think are the best. However, if you want to look for more plant-based alternatives check the ultimate meal replacement list (look for “V” tag!).
There you will find organic vegan shakes, sport vegan shakes, and many brands that focus on complete food options.
How to Find the Top Vegan Shake
Every individual has different needs and preferences. Some of us prefer sweeter shakes; while others favour more natural tasting shakes. Similarly, many will be looking for dairy-free shakes or gluten free shakes; while others can choose to avoid soy. Because there are so many vegan meal shakes out there; you need to be sure to check the following before buying:
- Check out if it has the Vegan tag.
- Look at the calories. I like my meal replacements to have around 400kcal per serving (you can always tailor it to your needs). Despite this, there are many brands that will set their servings to 90-180kcal which are not enough for most adults.
- Decide a budget. There are meal replacement shakes like Ample and Ambronite that can cost you up to $6.5 per meal or more affordable options like Plenny Shake at $1.19 per meal. More expensive does not always mean better; but the quality of the ingredients is often linked with the price.
- Check the allergens. Is it a soy free vegan shake? Do you need a gluten-free option? Be alert and check what allergens the shakes have. The most common are soy, gluten, and nuts.
- Taste or nutrition? You don’t need to sacrifice one for the other. However, I would recommend staying away from vegan shakes high in added sugars, even though they might taste better. These are not meant to be healthy, and they are designed to be addictive.
- Protein sources. Most vegan protein sources are not complete (with the exclusion of soy protein), and lack one or more essential amino acid. When buying the vegan meal shake have a look to what the protein sources is. For instance, pea and rice protein are a good combo.
Yes, there are no issues with consuming high quality vegan meal shakes. I recommend looking at the vegan drinks that I list, since I look closely at the nutritional output of each shake. In fact, there are many people consuming vegan shakes for long periods of time who have even improved their diets.
Yes, Ambronite’s Keto Meal Shake is one of them.
No. The first is a drink designed to provide you with all the nutrients your body needs, including, carbs, protein, fats and micronutrients. On the other hand, vegan protein shakes focus on boosting your protein intake and lack many vital nutrients.
Yes. When used properly and in conjunction with caloric deficit, they can be a very useful tool. They help you getting the nutrients your body needs, counting calories and keeping you full for long periods of time.
Yes, there are pleny of solid vegan meals. For instance, meal replacement bars are very usual.
Conclusion: What is the Best Vegan Meal Replacement Shake?
While following a vegan or a plant-based diet has become increasingly popular, finding good quality and balanced vegan meals can still be a challenge. Proper nutrition, price, lack of tasty options… are among the issues that people face every day when going vegan.
That’s where the best meal replacement shakes can help you. They offer a complete and balanced plant-based meal at an affordable price. You can make sure you get all the vitamins (including B12) and minerals, all the essential fats and good quality protein. All in a shake with minimal hassle and effort.
In fact, convenience and portability are two features that I love about meal replacements. Besides them, I love the fact that there’s a vegan shake for each diet and each person.
I strongly recommend you to start with a vegan meal replacement today, if you haven’t already. It will change your life. Just choose the right one from the list, and enjoy!
4. More in: latestfuels.com/resources. A compilation with different governmental guidelines and references.
5. Ultimate Meal Replacement List. List with all the brands.
6. Best Meal Replacement Shakes. Selection of the best RTDs, bars, organic shakes…
7. Game Changers. A documentary about the benefits of a plant-based diet.