The 7 Best Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes in 2022
What is the best vegan meal replacement shake you can buy?
The answer to that question is quite complex since there are a lot of great vegan meal shakes available right now.
Contrary to popular belief, meal replacement shakes offer some of the healthiest quick vegan meals you have. They are packed with nutrients, high-quality ingredients, top-notch vegan protein, and everything your body needs.
For me, meal replacement shakes were a life-saving discovery. They have allowed me to get complete nutrition in a simple manner. Not only that, but they help me to control what I eat, manage my weight better and avoid crappy nutrient-void meals (shitty takeaways). It has been a great boost for my health.
Thus, using my vast experience in the field, I’ve compiled this list of the best vegan meal replacement shakes you can buy; no matter where you live. Looking for a high-protein vegan shake? I’ve got one for you. What about a soy-free vegan meal shake? You will also find one on the list.
Get the ideal vegan meal replacement shake today!
Top Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes at a Glance
Let’s have a brief overview of the best vegan shakes that are discussed afterward.
I cover the picks in more detail later on, with the pros & cons of each top vegan shake, and why I’ve picked them.
|Lyfefuel||90%||Best Vegan Meal Replacement Shake||LATESTFUELS10|
|Complete 360 Meal||89%||Best Value Vegan Meal Shake||LATESTFUELS12|
|Ka’chava||89%||Best Tasting Vegan Shake (US)||CHECK NOW|
|Instant Knockout||85%||Best Vegan Shake for Weight Loss||CHECK NOW|
|Soylent Drink||84%||Best Vegan RTD||CHECK NOW|
|Huel Black||84%||Most Popular Vegan Shake||CHECK NOW|
|Rootana||81%||Best Vegan No Sweetener Shake||CHECK NOW|
|Four Sigmatic*||–||Protein No Sweeteners||LATESTFUELS|
|Wondershake*||–||Best Tasting Vegan Protein||LATESTFUELS12|
Highlights of the Best Plant-Based Shakes
Complete 360 Meal
Best in EU
- 400kcal, 30g of protein, 1g of sugar
- High in fibre, and omega-3
- Macros: 45C/30P/25F
- Double Chocolate Milk is delicious)
- For as low as £1 or €1.2 per meal
- Ships to UK, EU
Lyfefuel Daily Essentials
Best in US
- No additives, real food based
- No artificial sweeteners, preservatives or synthetic multivitamins
- 110kcal, 19g of protein
- Packed with nutrients that you are lacking in your diet
- Manufactured in the US
Best Tasting (US)
- 5 incredibly delicious flavours
- Real food based, zero artificial ingredients or sweeteners
- 240kcal, 24g of protein and all the nutrients your body needs
- Best vegan shake money can get you
Other Top Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes
BEST KETO –> Ambronite Keto Meal Shake
BEST RTD –> Soylent
BEST AFFORDABLE –> Huel Black
BEST VEGAN PROTEIN POWDER –> Four Sigmatic
Meet the Expert
My name is Enaut and I’m the founder Latestfuels. I aim to provide high-quality information, so you can make a safe choice.
Since creating the site I’ve tried over 100 meal replacement products, many of which are plant-based. Here, I’ve collected my favourites or those who I believe to be the best.
Over 50h of Research
+250 Products Assessed
The Best Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes
1. Lyfefuel Daily Essentials
Best Vegan Shake US
- 18g of premium vegan protein, 110kcal, and only 2g of sugar
- Low in calories, but really high in nutrients –> Most nutrient/calorie
- Healthiest vegan shake
- Easy digestion
- Designed to provide you extra of nutrients you might miss on a vegan diet: D3, B12…
- Could have more omega-3
- Not the most affordable
This has been one of my latest discoveries: Lyfefuel Daily Essentials; a vegan shake I did not expect much of, but blew me out of the water.
In fact, there’s a lot to like about this vegan meal shake. For once, I love the fact that it has been built to provide you with nutrients you might lack. The founder was clear that he wanted to provide you with a shake packed with essential nutrients. As such, they include extra of vitamin D3, vitamin B12 (often lacking in vegan diets), and vitamin K2.
Not only they provide you with vitamins and minerals other shakes miss, but they do it from real food ingredients. All natural and without artificial sweeteners to increase nutrient absorption.
Plus, you get 19g of plant based protein per each shake, which makes it ideal to fuel your workouts and a healthy lifestyle.
Personally, I find that 110kcal is not enough, so I would recommend adding some plant-based milk, like almond milk. This does not only make it more filling, but more tasty also.
You can make use of LATESTFUELS10 for a 10% discount on your first order, though.
- Macros (C/P/F): 19/65/16
- Serving size: 110kcal
- Protein (g): 18g – from pea protein and organic rice protein
- Sugars (g): 3.0g
- Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate
- Best Flavour: Chocolate
2. Complete 360 Meal
I love Complete 360 vegan meal replacement shake, and it’s one of my daily shakes when I’m not trying out new ones. There are a few reasons for that; like the excellent price/quality ratio, and superb nutrition.
Talking about nutrition, each 400kcal shake will give you 30g of high-quality protein. It comes from a custom blend of pea, brown rice, and hemp protein isolate. Therefore, it provides you with a balanced amino acid profile, but it’s also a soy-free shake.
Furthermore, Complete 360 is incredibly low in sugars and high in fibers. Thus, it will help you with satiety and reduce the risk of diabetes.
Most importantly, these are among the best-tasting shakes you can buy. Double Milk Chocolate is an absolute delight, one that I would drink every day.
All of this for less than $1.5 or £1.1 per meal; if you are lucky to get a discount!
- Macros (C/P/F): 46/30/24
- Kcal: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 30g – pea, hemp, brown rice
- Sugars (g): 1g
- Allergens: Oats, Soy
- Flavors: Banana Smooth, Choc Mint Brownie, Double Milk Chocolate, Strawberries N’ Cream Classic, and Vanilla Creme.
- Best Flavor: Double Milk Chocolate or Cookies ‘n’ Cream.
Best Tasting US
Kachava is simply one of the best tasting vegan shakes we have tried in Latestfuels. However, it is more than that. It is also one of the healthiest shakes, and the one our US writer loves the most.
So what’s so maverlous about this vegan meal drink? For starters, there is no other meal replacement with the ingredient list Ka’chava has. 70+ superfoods, adaptogens and high quality food sources. They use no artificial ingredients to provide you with all essential nutrients, and obviously have no artificial sweeteners.
Furthermore, it is high in protein, but still a soy-free shake. They use multiple protein sources to provide you with all essential amino acids. Kachava shakes also have digestive enzymes and probiotics, which sound like a gimmick, but I can definitely say they work.
Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, these shakes are just delicious. This is quite surprising, since natural shakes often fail to deliver a tasty drink.
Where is the catch? Well, it’s expensive. There are far cheaper alternatives out there, but if you want the best money can get for your health, then Kachava is your choice.
- Macros (C/P/F): 33/41/26
- Kcal: 240kcal
- Protein (g): 29g – from Yellow Pea Protein, Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein, Organic Sacha Ichi, Organic Amaranth, Organic Quinoa
- Sugars (g): 6.0g
- Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Coconut Acai, Chai, and Matcha.
- Best Flavor: Chocolate or Chai
4. Instant Knockout
Best Weight Loss
Very few shakes take weight loss as seriously as Instant Knockout. Their meal replacement has been designed with the purpose of helping you maintain lean body mass, while helping you lose that stubborn fat.
The key is how filling these shakes are. Without a doubt some of the most satiating shakes on the market. The high protein formula helps with this as well as keeping your muscles.
Instant Knockout’s vegan shakes for weight loss are also low in sugars (1g), contain all essential nutrients, and have slow-releasing carbs to keep you fueled for longer.
Furthermore, you can use their fat burner, “CUT”, to try speeding up the weight loss process. When buying together, there’s a 25% discount, which is definitely worth it.
My only hope is that they add more flavors than Vanilla since even if this is really good, can get tiring in the long run.
- Macros (C/P/F): 36/35/29
- Serving size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 35g
- Sugars (g): 1g
- Allergens: Soy
- Flavors: Vanilla
- Best-flavour: Vanilla
Best Vegan RTD
Soylent is the original vegan meal replacement shake. Although it started as a powder, it’s the ready-to-drinks (RTD) that have gained popularity. This is due to them being smoother, better mixed, and generally much better tasting.
On top of that, the range of flavors Soylent offers is unparalleled in the US: Banana, Creamy Cacao, Original, Vanilla, Strawberry, Cafe Mocha, Cafe Chai… There is a vegan shake for everybody. I love Creamy Cacao and Cafe Mocha.
Another great aspect of Soylent is that you can take it anywhere, and enjoy your healthy vegan meal no matter where you are. Great if you often have to opt for boring, unhealthy options. Get 20g of protein, less than 1g of sugar, 28 vitamins and minerals, all gluten-free and vegan.
- Macros (C/P/F): 35/19/46
- Serving Size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 20g – from soy protein isolate
- Sugars (g): 1.0g
- Allergens: Soy
- Flavors: Original, Vanilla, Chocolate, Mint Chocolate, Banana, Strawberry, Chai, and Cafe Latte.
- Best Flavor: Original
6. Huel Black
Best Low Carb
Huel is one of the best complete food brands, and Huel Black powder is their start product. This vegan meal replacement drink is one of the (if not the) most successful shakes on the market. Why?
Well, it offers solid nutrition at an affordable price and the shakes taste good. Even if they might not be the best tasting, they are an easy shake to get used to and grows on you.
Nutritionally, Huel Black offers 40g of protein from pea (mainly) and a very low carb profile. This means that this shake has a really low GI, and helps you be energized for longer. It also comes with no artificial sweeteners (they use organic coconut sugar and stevia instead).
Of the many flavors Huel offers, my favorite is Salted Caramel, followed by Vanilla. You will, however, have the chance to choose between Chocolate, Strawberries and Cream, Unflavoured, and more.
- Macros (C/P/F): 20/40/40
- Serving size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 40g – pea protein and rice
- Sugars (g): 5g
- Allergens: None
- Best Flavour: Salted Caramel.
No Artifical Sweeteners
Usually, vegan natural meal replacement shakes cost a premium, and this means that they are unobtainable for many. For those, Rootana shakes will be perfect.
Rootana offers a blend of natural ingredients, quality vegan protein, and the essential vitamins and minerals you need.
On top of that, they don’t use any artificial sweeteners – nor stevia – to sweeten their shakes. Instead, they use real sugar, which gives the shakes a much cleaner taste. I often find myself disliking the aftertaste of low-quality stevia or when excessive sucralose.
As such, Rootana’s meal replacement shakes are a breeze of fresh air. I truly enjoyed their Vanilla flavor, which is a little bit more bland than Chocolate, but great for regular consumption.
For instance, you can mix it with berries and a little bit of ice for an incredibly refreshing shake.
Unfortunately, Rootana is only available in the UK for now, although the brand has announced that they will be in the US soon.
- Macros (C/P/F): 46/21/23
- Serving size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 21g – from pea protein
- Sugars (g): 13g
- Allergens: Oats
- Flavours: Vanilla, Natural, and Chocolate
- Best Flavour: Vanilla
Why Go Vegan?
Plant-based diets might be the best way to reduce our personal CO2 impact. Furthermore, they are a great way to improve your health by refining your nutrition; since plants are an amazing source of essential nutrients and phytonutrients.
In fact, most Americans fail to reach the dietary guidelines and don’t eat enough vegetables on a daily basis. A habit that increases your chances for cardiovascular diseases, risk of cancer, and other major illnesses.
Thus, incorporating more plant-based meals is a win-win situation. Going vegan is taking this approach to an extreme, and make sure you minimize your environmental impact while keeping your diet in check. Or at least, that’s one of the reasons to do it. There’re plenty more.
In this regard, plant-based meal replacements offer you the best of two worlds: complete and balanced nutrition; and, a sustainable, environmentally friendly meal (minimal packaging, efficient transportation etc.). Plus, they can be a very handy tool to have a vegan meal no matter where you are.
4 Reasons Why Vegan Meal Replacements Are Awesome
Anyway, I suspect that you are already following a vegan diet; and that you have your own reasons to do so, already. You are just looking for the best vegan meal replacement you can buy. Perhaps, you have some doubts if vegan shakes are healthy or what you are looking for.
Here are 4 reasons to ensure you that plant-based shakes can make your life easier and better:
- Make sure you get all the necessary nutrients. Getting all your vitamins and minerals, a balanced set of nutrients, fats etc. can already be hard on a normal diet. In vegan diets, there are usual suspects like vitamin B12, omega-3 or even protein that might be hard to come by. With meal replacements you can be certain you will get a good dose of each; and thus, avoid common vegan deficiencies.
- Eat healthy and vegan anywhere. Convenience is a huge upside of meal replacement shakes. You can consume them almost anywhere, take them to the office, drink them at home or even travel with them, if you must. I’ve had vegan shakes on airports; where there was no good alternative. Stop having to worry about finding your meal, and eat what you want where you want
- Don’t need to overpay! Unfortunately, many restaurants and food manufacturers use the vegan tag to overprice their products. Even having to buy vegetables in the supermarket can get expensive. With each meal costing as little as $1.2, you will find that vegan shakes fit your budget.
- There’s a huge variety of vegan products; you’ll find what you’re looking for. Whether you want vegan gluten-free shakes; or perhaps soy-free; or organic… there’s a shake out there for you. Fit them to your diet (low-carb, keto, paleo…), get as much protein as you want (from 11g to 30g a meal) and choose the right ingredients for you. Plus, you can opt between shakes, bars and other formats!
Best Vegan Meal Replacement Shakes vs Top Vegan Protein Shakes
If you are new to the whole meal replacement shake industry, you might have some misconceptions or doubts. A very common one is mistaking plant-based protein shakes with meal replacements. At the end of the day, the protein industry is very keen on promoting its products as alternatives to meals.
Here are a few key points to look out for:
|Meal Replacements||Protein Powders|
|Vitamins & Minerals||Yes||No (few exceptions)|
|Focus on protein||No||Yes|
|Based on health guidelines||Yes||No|
|Aim||Replace a meal in a balanced way||Boost your protein intake|
The main difference is that plant-based meal shakes will try to provide you with all the essential nutrients that your body needs; while the protein shakes will primarily boost your protein intake.
If the latter is what you are looking for, here are some suggestions of vegan protein shakes that I like:
Product NamePriceSellsBuy Now
Ambronite Complete Protein$1.50World
Vegan Protein TPW£0.66UK
Best Vegan Meal Replacement Bars and Powder Alternatives
Perhaps, you are looking for vegan meal replacements that are solid. I would recommend checking the best meal replacement bar list, where I mention a few of my favorites. Nonetheless, here are some vegan bars that you might like:
How to Find the Top Vegan Shake
Every individual has different needs and preferences. Some of us prefer sweeter shakes; while others favor more natural tasting shakes. Similarly, many will be looking for dairy-free shakes or gluten-free shakes; while others can choose to avoid soy. Because there are so many vegan meal shakes out there; you need to be sure to check the following before buying:
- Check out if it has the Vegan tag.
- Look at the calories. I like my meal replacements to have around 400kcal per serving (you can always tailor it to your needs). Despite this, there are many brands that will set their servings to 90-180kcal which are not enough for most adults.
- Decide a budget. There are meal replacement shakes like Ample and Ambronite that can cost you up to $6.5 per meal or more affordable options like Plenny Shake at $1.19 per meal. More expensive does not always mean better; but the quality of the ingredients is often linked with the price.
- Check the allergens. Is it a soy free vegan shake? Do you need a gluten-free option? Be alert and check what allergens the shakes have. The most common are soy, gluten, and nuts.
- Taste or nutrition? You don’t need to sacrifice one for the other. However, I would recommend staying away from vegan shakes high in added sugars, even though they might taste better. These are not meant to be healthy, and they are designed to be addictive.
- Protein sources. Most vegan protein sources are not complete (with the exclusion of soy protein), and lack one or more essential amino acid. When buying the vegan meal shake have a look to what the protein sources is. For instance, pea and rice protein are a good combo.
Yes, there are no issues with consuming high-quality vegan meal shakes. I recommend looking at the vegan drinks that I list, since I look closely at the nutritional output of each shake. In fact, there are many people consuming vegan shakes for long periods of time who have even improved their diets.
Yes, Ambronite’s Keto Meal Shake is one of them.
No. The first is a drink designed to provide you with all the nutrients your body needs, including, carbs, protein, fats and micronutrients. On the other hand, vegan protein shakes focus on boosting your protein intake and lack many vital nutrients.
Yes. When used properly and in conjunction with a caloric deficit, they can be a very useful tool. They help you get the nutrients your body needs, counting calories and keeping you full for long periods of time.
Yes, there are plenty of solid vegan meals. For instance, meal replacement bars are very usual.
Conclusion: What is the Best Vegan Meal Replacement Shake?
The best vegan meal replacement shake is Lyfefuel Daily Essentials. That said Complete 360 Meal is a great alternative in Europe, too.
While following a vegan or a plant-based diet has become increasingly popular, finding good quality and balanced vegan meals can still be a challenge. Proper nutrition, price, lack of tasty options… are among the issues that people face every day when going vegan.
That’s where the best meal replacement shakes can help you. They offer a complete and balanced plant-based meal at an affordable price. You can make sure you get all the vitamins (including B12) and minerals, all the essential fats, and good quality protein. All in a shake with minimal hassle and effort.
In fact, convenience and portability are two features that I love about meal replacements. Besides them, I love the fact that there’s a vegan shake for each diet and each person.
I strongly recommend you to start with a vegan meal replacement today if you haven’t already. It will change your life. Just choose the right one from the list, and enjoy!
Looking for a Vegan Protein Powder Instead?
- Vegan and organic protein shake.
- 18g of protein from pea, chia, hemp and pumpkin
- Only 2g of sugar
- Added superfoods and adaptogens to help reducing fatigue and stress
- Free US Shipping
4. More in: latestfuels.com/resources. A compilation with different governmental guidelines and references.
5. Ultimate Meal Replacement List. List all the brands.
6. Best Meal Replacement Shakes. Selection of the best RTDs, bars, organic shakes…
7. Game Changers. A documentary about the benefits of a plant-based diet.