The 9 Best And Less Expensive Shakeology Alternative Shakes in 2021
Shakeology is a meal replacement shake directed primarily to those who are looking to lose weight. According to them, Shakeology is a powerful superfood blend crafted to provide the body with the right nutrients.
Despite this premise, their drinks have clear nutritional imbalances and fail to deliver all the weight loss claims. Thus, many start looking for the best Shakeology alternatives.
As such, I have crafted a list with the top alternatives to Shakeology making use of my vast experience in the field. I have been consuming meal replacement shakes for over 3 years, and I’ve tested more than 75 products during that period. In fact, I’ve tried almost everything in the market from the best vegan meal replacements, to keto shakes or organic meal drinks.
So if you are bored of overpaying and are looking for a cheap alternatives to Shakeology; you are in the right place. If you are looking for a healthier Shakeology substitute, you’ll find one here.
Meet the Expert
Hi! My name is Enaut and I’m the owner of Latestfuels. This site is a place for clear information on meal replacements and the latest nutritional trends.
I drink meal shakes in a daily basis, and they have improved my life greatly. Thus, I know share my knowledge in the topic with those looking for help.
Let me help you finding the right shake!
Best Shakeology Alternatives at a Glance
Product NamePriceReasonBuy Now
$1.67Best Weight Loss
You might be interested in
1. Ample O, V or K
Top Shakeology Alternative
- One of the best tasting alternatives: sweet and smooth shakes
- Available in whey based; plant-based and keto formulas
- Does not include any artificial sweeteners, artificial flavours, soy, or gluten
- Contains probiotics and prebiotics
- Cheaper than Shakeology
- One flavour per formula
- Does not include all micronutrients
Ample is not the cheapest Shakeology alternative there is; but I believe it is the best. Why? Because it is made with high quality real food ingredients and no artificial additives – that provide you with healthy premium nutrition.
They offer 3 different formulas: Original, Vegan and Keto.
One one hand you have Ample V: a top notch dairy free meal replacement shake. The vegan formula is jammed with organic greens, complete protein sources and healthy fats.
Similarly, there’s Ample K, designed for those following a ketogenic diet and ideal to lose weight. The Chocolate flavoured shake is absolutely delicious!
Lastly, you have Ample O, the whey based (organic) low-carb drink; with much less sugar than Shakeology. It’s a great substitute for Shakeology shakes.
Furthermore, all Ample shakes have probiotics (over 4 billion CFU) and prebiotics that will help you with digestion.
Besides the nutritional goodness, Ample’s shakes taste incredible. They are ultra smooth and easy to blend; even without a shaker.
|per serving||Ample V||DV (%)
2. Four Sigmatic
- Silky smooth and mouthwatering
- Plant-based, organic, no artificial sweeteners
- 150kcal per serving and 18g of protein
- With mushrooms to support mental and gut health
- Not a meal replacement
- Best as a snack
Are you looking for a healthy high protein snack? Then Four Sigmatic’s Protein is just the right choice for you. It’s one of the protein powders similar to Shakeology that I love.
It contains only the top notch ingredients, and is rigorously lab tested. Furthermore, it contains no artificial ingredients and it’s fully vegan.
Consequently, you can enjoy a healthy drink with 18g of high quality protein (organic hemp, organic pea, organic chia,…) with active ingredients that will boost your mood and focus.
And the best part is that it tastes great. There’s no hint of artificial flavourings, or any nasty aftertaste. It’s just plain dark rich cacao for your pleasure.
Try now with the code LATESTFUELS and ensure you get a health boost.
|per serving||Four Sigmatic||DV (%)
|Added Sugars (g)||2.0||4|
3. HLTH Complete
- No artificial ingredients, no GMOs, keto-friendly
- 27g of protein per 400kcal
- Includes digestive enzymes, probiotics and 9g of fibre
- High in vitamins and minerals
- Only 4g of carbs- no added sugars
- Two flavours only
- High in saturated fats
So what about a keto-friendly Shakekology alternative? I’ve mentioned Ample K; but HLTH Complete Meal is also a great shake. It’s richer in micronutrients (50% of DV per serving!) and also contains more protein than Ample.
Furthermore, HLTH has been designed with your health in mind; and it includes 9g of fibre, a unique blend of digestive enzymes (amylase, protease, lipase, cellulase…) and probiotics (Lactobacillus acidophilus). All of this to help you out with your digestion, and take care of your gut flora.
Nonetheless, nothing matters if it doesn’t taste good. Fortunately, HLTH shakes are very tasty. They are very natural (without the artificial sweeter touch), creamy, buttery and mixes very well.
One of my go-tos when I’m looking to lose weight and burn fat.
|per serving||HLTH Complete||DV (%)
4. Diet Extreme
- 13 incredibly delicious flavours: Caramel Latte, Choc Coconut, Banana Sundae…
- Smooth, and very easily mixable
- Only 207kcal per serving and 24g of protein
- Includes active ingredients to help with weight loss
- Over 400 positive reviews (98% rating)
- Not vegan
- Need discounts for best prices
Simply put, Diet Meal Replacement Extreme is a godsent shake. It’s absolutely delicious, contains tons of nutrients, and it’s actually quite affordable.
Let’s start with the taste. These are incredibly tasty, smooth, and without any bits. My favourites are Chocolate Coconut, Caramel Latte and Choc Peanut Cookie. You do, however have over 13 flavours to choose from:
- Banana Sundae
- Butterscotch Ripple
- Choc Hazelnut Heaven
- Strawberries N’ Cream
- Salted Caramel Bandit
- and more…
On top of that, nutritionally these are brilliant shakes. Unlike others in this list, Diet Extreme is a low fat-high protein shake. Plus, they also add ingredients like glucomannan, green tea extract, and acetyl-L-carnitine, among others, to help your lose some weight.
All of this for for about $1.5 per serving!
|per serving||Diet Extreme||RI (%)
5. Orgain Meal
Best Weight Loss
- Only 250kcal per shake, 16g of protein
- USDA organic, gluten free, soy free
- Pack with micronutrients and antioxidants to support weight loss
- Super rich in nutrients
- Ultra smooth and delicious – 4 flavours to choose from
- More affordable than Shakeology
- You need to subscribe for best prices
- Only available in the US
Are you looking for a Shakeology alternative to help you with your weight loss? Then, Orgain Nutrition Shake is the right choice for you. Not only is more affordable than Shakeology, but it’s also tastier.
In fact, one of the benefits of ready-to-drink shakes (RTDs) is that they are smoother, have an improved texture and taste over their powder counterparts. In this case, Orgain’s shake will give you all the goodness you need, in 4 delicious flavours (Creamy Chocolate is the best).
Plus, nutritionally Orgain only uses the highest quality ingredients: USDA organic certified vegetables and sprouts. This shake also uses grass fed organic whey protein; but they also sell a vegan version.
Enjoy a 250kcal shake that will keep you full and energized for hours!
If you are looking for protein powders similar to Shakeology; I also recommend looking at their organic protein powder range!
|per serving||Orgain All in One||DV (%)
- High protein, low calorie alternative (120kcal)
- Lots of delicious flavours available
- Formula designed for weight loss
- Very rich in vitamins and minerals
- Always great discounts available
- Less natural than Shakeology
- Only 2 vegan flavours
If you are looking for for low calorie Shakeology alternative, then Exante might be for you. They offer delicious 110kcal shakes with 12g of protein per serving that will fill you up for hours.
On top of that you will be able to choose from a variety of flavours, including; Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Salted Caramel, Cookies N’ Creme… This makes it perfect for those who get bored easily. I love their starter pack; which allows you to try out the different flavours.
All of this, at a much discounted price of $1.1 per serving! Definitely a great deal that will improve your diet and safe you money. I would look to buy one of the starter bundles (Trial Box or Kickstarter Box) for the best deals.
|per serving||Exante||DV (%)
|of which added (g)||2.0||4|
7. Soylent Drink
- Incredibly tasty and easy to drink
- Great array of flavours to choose from: I love Creamy Chocolate and Vanilla
- Much more convenient
- Lower in sugars
- Contains GMO and highly processed ingredients
- Low in fiber and no probiotics
Soylent Drink is the perfect Shakeology alternative for those who are looking for a more convenient meal shake. The ready-to-drink format enables you to take the drink wherever you please and consume it at your pleasure.
On top of that, RTDs have another advantage: they are much smoother and better mixed than powder-based meal replacements. Soylent uses this perfectly to its advantage, since Soylent Drink is one of the smoothest and tastiest Shakeology substitutes you can buy.
Not only that, but it is also significantly cheaper than Shakeology shakes; costing around $3/400kcal.
Nutritionally, Soylent might not have the prebiotics and adaptogens Shakeology includes. However, it does contain all the essential nutrients your body needs to function; including, omega-3, fiber, and all vitamins & minerals. Plus, with the new formula it only has 1g of sugar per 400kcal!
|per serving||Soylent Drink||DV (%)
Note that there’s also the Optimized version which has 1g of sugars per serving.
8. Plenny Shake
- Only $1.45 per 400kcal meal
- 6 flavours to choose from as well as an Active version (extra protein)
- Nutritionally better balanced for daily use
- Flavours are similar to each other (oaty)
- Contains soy
When I talk about Plenny Shake, I talk about affordable nutrition. In fact, it is the best cheap Shakeology Alternative you can buy. Each 400kcal meal starts at $1.45!
Nutritionally, Plenny Shake will still provide you with all the essential nutrients your body needs, and even probiotics. Plenny Shake is a vegan drink, that also includes 20g of protein. Or even you want even more protein, you can opt for the Active version (28g per serving).
Plus, you will be able to choose from 6 different flavours: Vanilla, Chocolate, Coffee, Strawberry, Mango and Banana. All of which are quite smooth and oaty in taste.
|per serving||Plenny Shake||DV (%)
9. Garden of Life
- Organic alternative
- Very high reviews; easy to like
- Well priced for an organic product
- Includes probiotics, prebiotics, digestive enzymes and greens
- Could be high in lead
- Suggested serving is too small for a meal
But perhaps you are looking for an organic Shakeology alternative? Then, Garden of Life Raw and Organic is your answer. The 4.4 rating from over 10k reviews in Amazon is a clear indication of the quality of this meal shake.
Raw and Organic is also a plant based meal replacement, particularly rich in protein and low in fats. It contains 20g of protein per 130kcal from diverse sources like pea, brown rice, amaranth, buckwheat and more. This Shakeology substitute also includes probiotics and a custom enzyme blend to help you with digestion.
While I think that Ambronite Complete Meal Shake offers you a more balanced macronutrient profile; I would recommend Garden of Life for those looking for protein powders similar to Shakeology.
|per serving||Raw Organic||DV (%)
|of which added (g)||0.0||0|
Why Do You Need A Shakeology Alternative?
There are multiple reasons why I think you would do well looking for a substitute to Shakeology shakes. Here are a few that I considered when choosing my best Shakeology alternatives:
- Nutritionally better balanced meal replacement shakes. Shakeology is not a perfect shake, and in fact is too rich in protein and contains too little fat according to dietary guidelines. Thus, I included products similar to Shakeology that had a more balanced approach and included essential oils (like omega-3).
- Shakeology is high in sugars. Similarly to the above mentioned, you want to consume a meal shake that is lower in sugars than Shakeology. High sugar diets are a big problem in the US and can lead to diabetes, obesity and other chronic diseases.
- Cheaper alternatives to Shakeology. Let’s be honest, budget is something that most of us need to take care of. As such, I listed cheap alternatives to Shakeology that are still nutritionally complete.
- Keto meal shakes. One of the best diets to lose weight is the keto diet. Currenty, Shakeology does not offer any keto meal replacement shakes, so I’ve included some.
What Are the Cons of Consuming Shakeology?
In spite the fact that Shakeology is a well regarded weight loss meal replacement it has some glaring flaws or weaknesses. For instance, there are better products out there for daily use if you are a “normal” adult. Products that are nutritionally better designed, following the health guidelines of the World Health Organization, US Health Department etc. Thus, these meal replacements are better suited for prolonged use and a healthy lifestyle.
Besides, it needs to be taken into account that Shakeology is not a miracle weight loss drink. Despite their claims about certain ingredients, the most important factor in weight loss is caloric deficit (eating less than you need). Meal replacements in general are very helpful in this process, since they help you track your calories accurately. Furthermore, those who can be consumed more than once a day might be even more effective helping you control what you eat.
Finally, we must consider the price. Most of the shakes mentioned above are much cheaper than Shakeology.
What’s a Cheaper Alternative to Shakeology?
|Cost||per 400kcal ($)||per 2,000kcal ($)|
|Garden of Life||4.50||22.50|
|Complete 360 Meal||1.50||7.50|
Some of the cheaper alternatives to Shakeology, like Complete 360 meal are actually almost as good as the more expensive ones. In fact, I think Complete 360 meal is far superior to Shakeology, despite the price discrepancy. It has better taste, more rounded nutrition, less sugar content and it won’t ruin you.
There are also other organic alternatives like 310 shakes, or Orgain that could fit you well.
Shakeology Comparisons With Other Meal Replacements
Lastly, I want to compare Shakeology with some of the other popular meal replacements that are available in the market. These, unlike the US brand, are not solely focused on weight loss and are designed to be complete food. What does this mean? It means that they will provide you with all the essential nutrients your body needs in a daily basis. Most of the time they will be based in governmental health guidelines and latest scientific recommendations.
Shakeology vs Dietary Guidelines
First let’s compare Shakeology with the US health guidelines:
|Shakeology (per serving)||Dietary Guidelines|
|Total Energy (kcal)||160||2000/day|
|Energy From Carbs (%)||43||45-65|
|Energy From Fats (%)||11||20-35|
|Energy From Protein (%)||46||15-30|
|Added Sugars (%)||13||10|
|Saturated Fats (%)||1||10|
As you can observe, when comparing Shakeology to dietary guidelines there are a few shortcomings:
- Low calorie content per serving. You would need to take 12.5 shakes per day to reach the daily recommended; which would be hard and expensive to do. However, it might work when you are looking to lose weight (consume less calories).
- Low in fats. Fats are essential to protect our organs and help with signalling within our body. For instance, omega-3 fatty acids are necessary for our brain and eyes to function. Thus, we need to make sure our meal replacement shakes provide us with omega-3 (particularly since we often don’t consume enough otherwise).
- High in sugars. Added sugars are everywhere, they make our dishes taste better and we’ve been taught to love them. However, they are not so good for our bodies and excessive consumption can lead to diabetes, obesity and other chronic illnesses.
It is not all bad, however. Shakeology does provide you with some non-essential nutrients and agents that might boost your digestion, or boost your cognitive performance. These include the digestive enzymes, adaptogens and probiotics.
Essential vs non-essential. Essential nutrients are those that we need to consume in a daily basis (carbs, protein, fats, vitamins and minerals). Non-essential nutrients are compounds that might have beneficial impact, but are not deemed to be primordial.
Shakeology vs the Best Shakeology Alternative
So how does Shakeology compare to some of the alternatives I’ve listed above. We have already seen that it is significantly more expensive; but what about nutrition?
For once, many of the meal replacements listed above will have 400kcal per serving (thus, you could take 5 a day). Therefore, they are better suited to replace more meals. These include, Ample, Ambronite, Huel, Plenny Shake and Soylent.
Furthermore, they will have all the essential nutrients that your body needs in a daily basis. For instance, Huel has 3.5g of omega-3 per serving and 3.5g of omega-6 (ideal balance). They will also have a balanced amino acid profile (protein), complex carbs, fiber and micronutrients.
Nonetheless, it is worth mentioning that Shakeology does include ingredients other meal replacements don’t:
- Digestive enzymes: cellulase, amylase, lactase, invertase, etc. are enzymes that help you digest certain nutrients.
- Probiotics: healthy bacteria that helps you balance your gut microbiome (healthier gut).
- Adaptogens: ashwagandha, maitake, reishi… these plant and mushrooms are often seen in energy drinks and cognitive boosters. They can help you with stress, mood boosting, reducing anxiety etc.
Shakeology vs 310 Shakes
A shake that I have not mentioned in this list is 310 Shakes, a popular alternative to Shakeology. Which one is better Shakeology or 310 Shakes?
In all honesty, I think that neither of them are worth the money. Both are too expensive for what they offer. In fact, I would recommend you to have a look to Ample V instead, or another alternative mentioned above.
|Total Energy (kcal)||160||110|
No, there are plenty more meal replacement brands out there that simply didn’t make the list.
While Shakeology is a very popular meal replacement, it is far from the best. Nutritionally is skewed and not designed to be a balanced meal. It has too much protein and sugars, and too little fats. It is also much more expensive to other alternatives mentioned in this list.
Yes, there are. In this list, I mention Ample K as the best keto alternative to Shakeology.
Yes, all these meal replacements can be used to lose weight. They are rich in fiber, filling and help you control how many calories you eat.
These two brands produce meal replacements shakes that I did not seem fit including in this list. In my opinion, there are far better Shakeology alternatives available in the market.
No, it’s not. However, some of the shakeology substitutes mentioned here are.
You can use the shakes mentioned above: Ample, HLTH Complete Meal, Four Sigmatic… All of these are cheaper alternatives to Shakeology, as well as healthier.
In my opinion it is not. The price is not justified, it’s too rich in protein, and there are much more balanced alternatives in the market.
Conclusion: The Best Shakeology Alternative is
… Ample meal shakes. They offer a great blend of top quality ingredients, a carefully designed formula for optimal health, and they are just delicious.
However, it will vastly differ on what your needs are. If you are looking for a complete meal replacement, then Ambronite might be your choice. Alternatively, if you want something cheaper Plenny Shake will be a good choice.
Here, I have listed what I consider to be the best alternatives to Shakeology but the ultimate pick it will largely depend on what you are looking for. Thus, I’ve included a varied array of meal replacements to make sure you find the ideal Shakeology replacement.
2. FDA Daily Values.