The 5 Best Gluten Free Meal Replacement Shakes in 2023
Meal replacement shakes are ideal to eat healthy on the go, keeping you on a budget and providing you with all the essential nutrients. However, many of them contain gluten, which is a no-no for coeliacs. Don’t worry, that’s why I have compiled this list with the best gluten-free meal replacement shakes. So you can enjoy all the benefits, without having any concerns.
These shakes have been carefully chosen after tasting more than 40 different products in many flavours. As such, you can be sure that these are the top gluten-free meal replacement shakes that will be the most beneficial for you.
The great thing about gluten-free meal replacement shakes is that they are certified to be gluten-free. They use ingredients that haven’t mixed or that don’t have the risk to be cross-contaminated.
As such, I have only listed certified gluten-free shakes in this list, so that you can feel safe with your choice.
Top Gluten-Free Meal Replacement Shakes at a Glance
Here’s a brief overview of what the best gluten-free shakes are.
|Rating||Best Gluten Free|
|LyfeFuel Daily Essential||90%||Editor’s Choice|
|HLTH Code||88%||Best Low Carb|
|Soylent Drink||84%||Best RTD|
|Huel Black||84%||Best Soy Free RTD|
|Four Sigmatic||85%||Best Gluten Free Protein Shake|
|Wondershake||83%||Best Tasting Protein|
Meet the Expert
I’m Enaut, the owner of Latestfuels and I dedicate my life to testing all the meal replacement shakes in the market.
Over the last two years, I’ve been lucky enough to convert my passion into my job. I care about the details and I try to provide the finest information to the readers. Then, you can feel safe with the choice that you make.
Enjoy your meal shake!
- 110kcal, all essential nutrients, from real food ingredients
- Vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, free of artificial ingredients
- Best shake money can get you
- Includes probiotics, organic greens, digestive enzymes and antioxidants
- Great tasting, and makes you feel energized
- Low in fats
- Currently just 2 flavors available
LyfeFuel’s Daily Essential Shake is the best gluten-free shake that will boost your nutrient intake and allow you to kickstart your day on a positive note.
They have focused on providing you with nutrients you might lack in your diet (vit D3, vit B12, vitK2) and incorporating superfoods that are packed with antioxidants.
As such, their shakes include more than 25 wholefood ingredients that will cover all essential areas of nutrition. Personally, I would’ve liked to see a little bit of more fat on the shakes, but you can easily add some milk or omega-3 oils (great for mental health) to boost it.
This gluten-free shake comes in two flavors, Chocolate and Vanilla. Both are very smooth and pleasant to drink, but I enjoyed the richness of Chocolate slightly more.
- Macros (C/P/F): 19/65/16
- Serving size: 110kcal
- Protein (g): 18g – from pea protein and organic rice protein
- Sugars (g): 3.0g
- Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate
- Best Flavour: Chocolate
- Fantastic taste; all 5 flavours are super tasty
- Vegan, gluten-free, made with real food ingredients
- 240kcal, 25g of protein, and all the vitamins and minerals
- Includes 70 superfoods, digestive enzymes, probiotics
- Healthiest shake you can buy
- Not the most affordable
- Best when using a blender
Simply put, Ka’chava’s vegan meal replacement shakes are some of the healthiest drinks on the market. There is no gluten-free shake that is as full of nutrients as Ka’chava is.
They use real food ingredients only to provide you with all essential nutrients (including vitamins and minerals), and add no synthetic additives or sweeteners. As such, you will get nutrients in their natural forms, which helps with absorption.
In my experience, Ka’chava is great to start the day with, since the light meals keep you energized while providing exactly what you need. The extra protein is also great and thus, Ka’chava can be used to fuel your workouts too.
However, there’s a BUT. The one main issue with Ka’chava is not the taste or the nutrition, but the price. Using high quality premium ingredients comes at a cost, and Ka’chava shakes are rather expensive.
Therefore, this gluten-free shake will be best for those who don’t care about the budget.
- Macros (C/P/F): 33/41/26
- Kcal: 240kcal
- Protein (g): 29g – from Yellow Pea Protein, Organic Whole Grain Brown Rice Protein, Organic Sacha Ichi (Plukenetia bolubilis linneo, seed), Organic Amaranth (Amaranthus caudatus, seed), Organic Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa, seed).
- Sugars (g): 6.0g
- Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Coconut Acai, Chai, and Matcha.
- Best Flavor: Chocolate or Chai
3. HLTH Code
Best Low Carb
- Soy-free, gluten-free and non-GMO
- High in protein; includes 50% of DV for vitamins and minerals
- Digestive enzymes, probiotics and apple cider vinegar help with digestion
- Limited flavors
- Not vegan
When looking for a low-carb gluten-free meal replacement shake, HLTH Complete Meal will be your choice.
Not only it’s US-made and is produced with the highest quality ingredients, but it’s also got a custom-designed formula by Dr. Ben Bikman.
The backbone of HLTH Code shakes is the 1:1 protein to fat ratio. This enhances protein and nutrient absorption so that nothing goes to waste.
Regarding the protein, HLTH Code uses whey concentrate from grass-fed cows, and collagen – which is beneficial for skin, joint and hair care.
However, shakes are nothing if they don’t taste good. Luckily, both HLTH shakes are lovely. While some people prefer the subtle creamy vanilla flavour (great to mix with fruits), I personally prefer the Chocolate Macadamia – much more like a chocolate milkshake.
- Macros (C/P/F): 12/27/61
- Serving Size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 27g – from whey protein concentrate, collage, egg whites
- Sugars (g): 2.0g
- Allergens: Milk, egg, coconut
- Profile: Low carb, high protein, keto-friendly
- Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate Macadamia
- Best Flavour: Chocolate Macadamia
4. Soylent Drink
- Best tasting RTD in the US
- Easy to drink on the go
- Includes all essential nutrients
- New formula with 1g of sugar
- Also caffeinated
- More expensive than powders
- Includes GMO
Soylent’s Ready to Drink shakes are the best gluten-free meals that you can have on the go. Silky smooth, incredibly tasty, and a pleasure to drink, Soylent Drink is always a winner.
The plant-based formula provides you with all the essential nutrients your body needs and 20g of protein per 400kcal. These shakes are also low in carbohydrates and high in healthy fats, which helps you feel full for longer.
One of the best things about Soylent is the array of flavors that they offer: Original, Vanilla, Cacao, Mint Chocolate, Cafe Chai, Cafe Mocha, and more. With the variety packs, you can try all of them out and pick out your favourites. I personally enjoy Cacao, Cafe Mocha, and Vanilla the most.
If the ready-to-drink does not fit your budget, Soylent also has some of the cheapest meal replacement powders in the US, so you can give that a go!
- Macros (C/P/F): 35/19/46
- Serving Size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 20g – from soy protein isolate
- Sugars (g): 1.0g
- Allergens: Soy
- Flavors: Original, Vanilla, Chocolate, Mint Chocolate, Banana, Strawberry, Chai, and Cafe Latte.
- Best Flavour: Original
5. Huel Black
- Vegan, gluten-free, no soy, free of artificial sweeteners
- Very good value for money
- Tons of flavors to choose from
- Good bulk & subscription discounts
- 40g of protein per serving
- Not all flavors are good
- Minimum order of $75
Huel Black might be one of the most popular meal replacement shakes on the market.
This gluten-free shake is packed with protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and all the nutrients your body needs; while having 0 allergens.
In fact, it’s not only a gluten-free meal, but it’s also free of soy, dairy, and artificial sweeteners. This blend makes Huel Black a very digestible shake and one that people swear by.
I do like the ingredients, and it’s a meal that it’s digested easily. While it might cause you some gas issues initially due to the high fiber content, you will feel more alert and more energized with Huel Black.
The one “downside” is that it’s not the tastiest shake in the world. I do like the Salted Caramel and Vanilla flavors, but I’m not a big fan of other flavors like Chocolate or Berry.
- Macros (C/P/F): 20/40/40
- Serving Size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 40g – from pea protein isolate
- Sugars (g): 5.0g
- Flavors: Vanilla, Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana, Unflavored & Unsweetened, Berry, Coffee, and Strawberries & Cream.
- Best Flavour: Salted Caramel
Are You Looking for Gluten-Free Protein Powder Shakes?
If instead of meal replacements, you are looking for the best gluten-free protein powders, I’ve got you covered, too.
1. Four Sigmatic
Best Gluten Free Protein
- 18g of high quality protein: full amino acid profile
- Includes adaptogens and greens to boost your focus and reduce stress
- Gluten-free, soy free, organic, and plant based
- Great tasting shakes
- Free US shipping
- Can be expensive
- Not the most protein per calorie
Four Sigmatic’s gluten-free protein powder is best for those looking for a nutritional boost. It’s not only about the high quality protein, but also the greens and adaptogen blend.
While for those looking for a simple protein boost this might not be the right choice, Four Sigmatic’s plant-based protein offers a health boost like no others. It includes 18g of protein from organic pea, chia, pumpkin, and hemp, which help you provide with a full amino acid profile.
Plus, it has ashwagandha, chaga, reishi and other mushrooms that can boost your mental and physical health; enhance recovery and help with your focus.
All of this, with lovely taste and texture – partially, thanks to the fact that they don’t rely solely on pea protein.
Start now with the code LATESTFUELS for 10% off.
Key Nutrition Stats:
- Energy (kcal): 150kcal
- Protein (g): 18g – organic pea, chia, pumpkin, hemp
- Sugars (g): 2g
- Sweetened with: Monk fruit extract
- Profile: Vegan, soy-free, gluten-free, organic
- Simply wonderful – a tier above any other protein shake on taste
- Vegan, gluten free
- 21g of protein per 89kcal serving
- 12 flavours to choose from
- Available in the US, EU and UK
- Best price in the UK
- Look for discount before buying
This is the best-tasting gluten-free protein shake without a doubt. The Protein Works’ Wondershake broke my previous belief that plant based protein shakes can’t taste good. The Cookie’s and Cream shake is simply out of this world.
But besides the taste, Wondershake has a lot to offer. For instance, it provides you with 21-22g of protein per 89kcal serving! Their quadplant protein blend (pea protein isolate, soy protein isolate, hemp and brown rice protein) will provide you with easily absorbable amino acids; thus helping you with recovery and muscle growth.
Plus, you can get the best gluten-free protein powder shake in up to 12 flavors. As mentioned earlier, I love Cookie’s and Cream, but you have plenty to choose from.
One thing I would recommend you to do before buying is to make sure you find a discount (or it’s discounted), so that you can get the best value for your money.
Key Nutrition Stats:
- Energy (kcal): 89kcal
- Protein (g): 21g – pea protein isolate, soy protein isolate, hemp protein, brown rice protein
- Sugars (g): 1g
- Sweetened with: sucralose
- Profile: Vegan, gluten-free
What Is Gluten?
Gluten is one of the proteins found in many grains, such as, wheat, barley, rye or semolina. This naturally occurring protein is essential for baking and provides the dough with the stretchy quality. In regard to human health, gluten seems to have positive effects reducing risk of heart disease; as well as helping to feed gut bacteria.
However, it can also cause huge distress for people with coeliac disease and other gluten insensitivities. In short, our body reacts against gluten when consumed triggering an immune response. This can cause inflammation, slower absorption of nutrients, bloating, constipation etc.
Why Opt For Gluten-Free Shakes?
Strict gluten-free diets can be hard to follow since popular items in restaurants, takeaways and supermarkets need to be avoided. Foods like grains, cakes, cereals, cookies, pasta, soups and more are forbidden. Furthermore, you will often not know if an item is safe, since gluten can be present in additives such as soy sauce, lecithin or monosodium glutamate (very common small ingredients).
Here is where certified gluten-free meal replacement shakes can be very handy, since it will allow you to know you are safe. On top of that, they will provide you with all the nutrients your body needs and can be consumed anywhere.
What Are the Issues Going Gluten-Free?
Despite the fact that gluten-free diets can have some health benefits, they are also often lacking some essential vitamins and minerals. Grains are rich in iron, calcium, riboflavin and other micronutrients which are necessary for proper functioning.
Standard gluten-free alternatives are also often more costly than their counterparts. Keeping your budget at check can be a tough task. Not only they can be more expensive, but they often include unnatural levels of fats, salt or sugars. Therefore, it is good to read the labels.
Taking that into consideration, gluten-free meal replacements give you a great solution for both. You can easily manage your budget, and know exactly what you are eating, plus get all the nutrients you might be lacking.
What Other Factors Have I Looked At?
When choosing the top gluten-free meal replacement shakes I have also taken into account the following factors:
- Taste and Texture. Perhaps one of the most important factors together with the nutritional output.
- Price. This is always something to take into consideration for most buyers
- Extras. Probiotics, antioxidants, prebiotics, lack of added sugars… I have positively valued ingredients that provide more than just nutrients.
It is the simplest way to get a healthy meal, on the go or at home, that will provide you all the nutrients you need; plus, it’s safe to consume for coeliacs.
Yes, in fact, 3 out of 4 of the drinks on the list are both vegan, and gluten-free.
Most of the shakes taste pretty good; and some of them are incredibly delicious. In this list, not only I have taken into account the fact that they are gluten-free; but I’ve also listed the shakes that tasted the best.
Conclusion: The Best Gluten-Free Meal Replacement Shake is
If you are looking for a healthy meal replacement shake, there are many great options on the market. We’ve tried out several gluten-free meal replacement shakes and found our top three picks:
- LyfeFuel Daily Essentials for its high-quality ingredients and nutrient-rich formula.
- Ka’chava for its delicious taste and satisfying texture.
- HLTH Code is a more affordable gluten-free meal replacement shake that still tastes great.
Give one of these gluten-free meal replacement shakes a try today!
For more gluten-free nutritional products; I recommend you check out the best greens powders. These are very helpful to provide a boost to your veggie input and improve your health.