The 7 Best YFood Alternatives for a Healthier Diet
Welcome to the best YFood alternatives list, curated by our meal replacement experts.
YFood is the most popular German meal replacement shake brand. Their shakes are fun, tasty, and easily likable. We love YFood shakes at Latestfuels!
However, they are not the healthiest meal replacement shakes. YFood shakes are particularly rich in sugars (up to 22g per serving!). Plus, they are also not shy on saturated fats!
Furthermore, if you are looking for more natural, real-food based meal replacement, YFood is 100% not going to work for you.
Besides, in our opinion, YFood shakes taste amazing. Definitely the strong suit of the brand. However, they can get tiring after a while, since they are quite sweet and overloaded with flavors.
As such, today we will discover the top YFood alternatives in order to find out the meal replacement shake that works for you.
- Our Top YFood Alternatives
- Why Do You Need A Meal Replacement Shake?
- Meet the Expert
- The Best YFood Alternatives Meal Replacement Shakes
- 1. (Vegan) Complete 360 Meal – Best YFood Alternative Overall
- 2. Saturo Powder – Most Flexible YFood Alternative
- 3. Mana Drink – Best Vegan Ready-to-Drink
- 4. Diet Meal Replacement Extreme – Best YFood Alternative for Weight Loss
- 5. Bertrand – Best Organic Meal Replacement Shake
- 6. Huel RTD v2.0 – Best RTD without Artificial Sweeteners
- 7. Huel Black – Best Low Carb
- What About the Other YFood Products?
- YFood Alternatives FAQ
- Conclusion: What is the YFood Alternative?
Our Top YFood Alternatives
Before we go over each in detail, here is a quick rundown of our top YFood alternatives:
- Complete 360 Meal – Best YFood Alternative
- Saturo Powder – Most Affordable YFood Alternative
- Mana Drink – Best Vegan RTD
- Diet Extreme – Best YFood Alternative for Weight Loss
- Bertrand – Best Organic
- Ambronite Keto Meal Shake – Best Keto
- Huel Black – Best Gluten-Free Alternative to YFood
On this list of YFood alternatives, you will find vegan meal replacement shakes, low-carb shakes, ready-to-drink versions, and more.
Whatever you are looking for in your YFood alternative you will find it here.
Why Do You Need A Meal Replacement Shake?
Before choosing the right YFood alternative for you, there are a few factors you should consider:
- Are you looking for a plant-based meal replacement shake?
- Do you want a more natural, less processed shake?
- What’s your budget?
- Do you want a cleaner, less flavored meal replacement shake?
- Powder or Ready-to-Drink?
All these factors and more should be considered.
Besides, YFood is a meal replacement brand from Germany manufactured in Europe.
Not all meal replacements here are from Germany, although all of them are made in Europe following rigorous standards set by EFSA.
Meet the Expert
Hi, I’m Enaut!
I’m the Founder of Latestfuels, and I’ve been consuming meal replacement regularly since 2017!
During this journey, I’ve tried over 300 meal replacements! Most of them good, some of them no so good, and very few awful ones.
YFood is one of my favorite shakes, but I use it as a treat.
There are other meal replacement shakes that I consider better for daily use.
Let’s explore them together
Over 50h of Research
+250 Products Assessed
The Best YFood Alternatives Meal Replacement Shakes
1. (Vegan) Complete 360 Meal – Best YFood Alternative Overall
- Vegan and non-vegan versions
- Great for active people: 30g of protein
- Healthier than YFood: 1g of sugar, plenty of fiber, better ingredients
- Contains Ashwagandha for a cognitive boost
- More filling
- Tastes awesome – Double Milk Chocolate
- The vegan version is tastier than whey based
For the past 2 years, Vegan Complete 360 Meal has been one of my go-to meal replacement shakes.
Whenever I’m not testing a new product, this is one of the shakes that I will be having.
The reason why I think this is the top YFood Powder alternative, and one that will suit most people is because I think it balances nutrition and taste excellently.
While other brands make a choice between taste and nutrition (like Huel or YFood), Complete 360 Meal achieves a great balance.
Each shake will provide you with 30g of protein, 1g of sugar, 7g of fiber, plenty of omega-3 and all the essential nutrients your body needs.
This shake is ideal to fuel my active lifestyle, fill me up in the mornings so I don’t end up snacking mid-morning, and also keeps me energized. When I’m extremely busy, I have another shake for lunch, so that I don’t crash after having lunch.
When it comes to taste, I think that the Vegan version of Complete 360 is tastier than the whey version. Double Milk Chocolate is my favorite flavor, but Cookies n’ Cream is great, too. Some of the best-tasting meal replacement shakes, for sure.
Each serving can cost you as little as €1.5, so that’s another great thing about Complete 360.
- Macros (C/P/F): 46/30/24
- Kcal: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 30g – pea, hemp, brown rice
- Sugars (g): 1g
- Allergens: Oats, Soy
- Flavors: Banana Smooth, Choc Mint Brownie, Double Milk Chocolate, Strawberries N’ Cream Classic, and Vanilla Creme.
- Best Flavor: Double Milk Chocolate or Cookies ‘n’ Cream.
2. Saturo Powder – Most Flexible YFood Alternative
- Vegan and whey-based
- Not as heavily flavored
- Good array of flavors to choose from
- Healthier than YFood
- Can have a personalized powder
- Not gluten-free
Vegan Saturo Powder is one of the best dairy-free meal replacement shakes in Europe. However, there’s also a whey-based version, which is equally as good.
Even crazier, Saturo allows you to personalize your meal replacement shakes to your needs! You will first have to fill in a questionnaire with your details and dietary preferences, and Saturo will make a meal replacement powder that fits your needs!
That said, this is a more expensive option, and I think that for most people the normal powders will be enough.
In fact, they are better than enough. They offer a low GI, high protein blend, that’s ideal for daily use.
The taste of the shakes has also improved massively since they first launched the product, and with the 5.0 version, they were finally able to convince me.
It just blends perfectly and makes a very pleasant shake to have. All flavors, except cappuccino, are good.
- Macros (C/P/F): 40/30/30
- Serving size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 29g – from pea protein
- Sugars (g): 1g
- Allergens: Oats
- Flavours: Vanilla, Natural, Chocolate, Strawberry, Banana and Cappuccino
- Best Flavour: Chocolate
3. Mana Drink – Best Vegan Ready-to-Drink
- Creamy, tasty shakes
- Great for regular use
- Better tasting than YFood vegan
- Great starter pack
- Healthier than YFood RTD
- Contains soy
- Not cheap
Mana Drink is a Czech company that has been around since 2015, making it one of the oldest meal replacement shake companies in Europe.
This is a good thing since they have been refining their product and making small improvements all around to reach Mana Mark 7 (current version).
It is the smoothest, tastiest, most balanced meal Mana has released. A true accomplishment of a clean-tasting shake optimized with scientific research to provide you with as many health benefits as possible. 161 health claims, 33 vitamins and minerals, GI of 29, promotes gut health…
Mana takes nutrition very seriously, and they are one of the few brands that prioritize long-term health with their shakes.
The flavor of Mana shakes is similar. Definitely not as punchy as YFood shakes, but more creamy, less sweet and less flavored. They are great to have them regularly.
I think Origin is the best of the bunch, but Apricot and Choco are great to break the monotony.
Pro-Tip: Mix cinnamon with Origin.
- Macros (C/P/F): 35/20/35
- Kcal: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 20g – from soy protein isolate, brown rice protein, pumpkin, and oats
- Sugars (g): 7.0g
- Allergens: Soy, oats
- Flavors: Origin, Choco, and Apricot.
- Best Flavor: Origin
4. Diet Meal Replacement Extreme – Best YFood Alternative for Weight Loss
- Extremely filling
- 210kcal per serving
- Vegan and whey-based versions
- Up to 14 flavors
- Rich in protein
- More expensive per kcal
- Not gluten-free
There is no better meal replacement shake for weight loss than Diet Meal Replacement Extreme.
It’s the one that I use when I feel like I’ve gained some extra pounds that I didn’t want.
There are a few reasons why I think this is the best alternative to YFood for weight loss, but primarily I love how filling the shake is.
Diet Meal Replacement Extreme is rich in protein and fiber, both nutrients that keep you feeling full. But besides that, they add glucomannan, another ingredient that excels at keeping you full for longer.
And it’s not the only ingredient they add for weight loss. Diet Extreme also has conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) to help you with weight loss.
Honestly, I don’t really care that much about it either. All I know is that I get the protein I want, I feel full and energized for hours, and I’m always looking forward to having my next shake.
Unlike many other diet shakes, it tastes amazing. It has a thicker texture, which I really enjoy. I recommend starting with Digestive Biscuit.
- Macros (C/P/F): 39/46/15
- Serving size: 207kcal
- Protein (g): 24g – from soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate, micellar casein
- Sugars (g): 1.0g
- Allergens: Milk, Soy, Oats, Gluten
- Flavors: Banana Smooth Sundae, Butterscotch Ripple, Caramel Latte, Cheeky Choc Coconut, Choc Hazelnut Heaven, Choc Mint Brownie, Choc Peanut Cookie, Chocolate Silk, Cookies & Cream, Dark Choc Raspberry, Millionaire’s Shortbread, Chocolate Digestive, Salted Caramel Bandit, Strawberries N’ Cream, Tiramisu Italiano, Vanilla Creme Crush, Digestive Biscuit, and White Choc Peanut Sundae.
- Best Flavour: Digestive Biscuit.
5. Bertrand – Best Organic Meal Replacement Shake
- Fully organic and made from real food ingredients only
- No artificial ingredients
- Made in Germany
- 3 different versions
- Healthier than YFood
- Lower in protein
- Need to buy flavorings on the side
One of the best organic meal replacement shakes in the world is German. Bertrand Bio shakes are excellent and achieve something very few can do.
They provide you with all the essential nutrients solely using real-food ingredients. This is, they don’t add any artificial micronutrients, which increases nutrient absorption.
This is definitely quite different from YFood, which prioritizes the taste of the shakes and contains a few processed ingredients (maltodextrin, soluble corn fiber, for instance).
When you look at Bertrand’s ingredient list you will see cold pressed rapseed oil, almonds, buckthorn berries, grounded oats…
You can definitely feel this in the taste. It’s not as strong or sweet as YFood. In fact, it can be quite a shock when consumed side to side.
Either way, Bertrand offers you 3 versions: Original, Vegan and Active. Even the active one is not as rich in protein as I would have liked, but it’s the one I usually go for.
Besides, I do also miss flavors like chocolate and I’m not the biggest fan of having to buy flavorings on the side.
- Macros (C/P/F): 42/21/37
- Serving size: 833kcal
- Protein (g): 42g
- Sugars (g): 11g
- Flavors: Vanilla, Bilberry, Apple & Cinnamon, and Chai Banana.
- Best-flavour: Vanilla
6. Huel RTD v2.0 – Best RTD without Artificial Sweeteners
- 400kcal, 22g of plant-based protein
- Fully plant-based
- Much tastier than YFood Vegan
- No artificial sweeteners
- Iced Mocha Caramel is insanely good
- Fewer flavors
One of the best brands as YFood alternative is Huel. The British giant has a plethora of products, including meal replacement powders, RTDs, bars, savory options, and even protein powder.
If you are looking for a YFood RTD alternative, then Huel v2.0 might be what you are looking for. While Mana Drink is excellent, their flavors are more subtle. Huel RTD v2.0 offers stronger flavored ready-to-drink options that can compete with YFood RTD toe-to-toe.
And that’s saying a lot, because I love YFood RTDs. But the vegan YFood shakes are not as great, and that’s where Huel v2.0 fills the gap.
Besides, they are also quite healthy. No artificial sweeteners, 22g of protein, fully plant-based, less processed ingredients than YFood… It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good.
The one problem I have with Huel RTD is the price. It’s considerably more expensive than YFood RTDs.
However, if you decide to buy them, I would start with the starter pack. That said, Cinnamon Swirl and Iced Mocha Caramel are the best flavors by far.
- Macros (C/P/F): 37/22/41
- Serving Size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 22g – from pea protein and hemp protein
- Sugars (g): 1.0g
- Allergens: Soy
- Flavors: Cinnamon Swirl, Iced Mocha Caramel, Salted Caramel, and Strawberry Cream.
- Best Flavor: Iced Mocha Caramel
7. Huel Black – Best Low Carb
- Vegan, gluten-free, no soy, free of artificial sweeteners
- 40g of protein per serving
- Salted Caramel is great
- Tons of flavors to choose from
- Fully plant-based
- Not all flavors are good
- Not as tasty as YFood
Last but not least, we have another Huel product. This time we have Huel Black, their star product.
Ever since they launch this plant-based, gluten-free, high-protein meal replacement powder, it’s been a hit.
This low-carb blend is quite unique in Europe, and it is significantly lower in carbs, and sugars when compared to YFood. This means that the GI of Huel Black is really low too. Ideal to avoid any sugar crashes that you might have when consuming YFood.
For many people, 40g of protein per 400kcal will be too much, but those who live an active lifestyle will love it. Ultimately, Huel Black offers a nutritionally solid shake that will fill you up for hours.
Besides, it has no artificial sweeteners and instead is sweetened with stevia and coconut sugar.
You can definitely taste the lack of sweeteners, although stevia won’t be for everyone. Personally, I think that the flavors in Huel Black are a little miss and hit. Salted Caramel is great, but chocolate is awful, for instance.
- Macros (C/P/F): 20/40/40
- Serving size: 400kcal
- Protein (g): 40g – pea protein and rice
- Sugars (g): 5g
- Allergens: None
- Best Flavour: Salted Caramel.
What About the Other YFood Products?
Those who consume YFood shakes regularly might also be aware of YFood Pots and YFood bars.
Are there any good YFood bar alternatives?
#1 YFood Bar Alternative – Plenny Bar
Yes, plenty, in fact. YFood bars are too sweet and artificial for my liking. Instead, I tend to use Plenny Bars.
Plenny Bars are made by Jimmyjoy, a Dutch company that has been around since 2014. Their bars have always been excellent, and they are one of the referents in the industry.
These are fully plant-based, provide 400kcals (to replace a full meal), 20g of protein, and all the vitamins and minerals your body needs.
Unlike YFood bars, they are a little bit more solid, like a flapjack. They are not excessively sweetened with sugar alcohols, and that’s something I appreciate.
Furthermore, there are 8 flavors to choose from. My personal favorites are Salted Caramel and Hazelnut Coffee.
#1 YFood Pot Alternative – Huel Hot & Savory
The last product YFood launched was complete meal savory pots that you eat hot. A great break from cold shakes. Something chewy and warm ideal for dinner.
However, the original hot and savory complete meal is Huel’s Hot & Savory, and they are great. I think that YFood’s pasta-based meals might be a little better, but Huel H&S just offers more flavors and textures.
Some of these flavors include, Mac & Cheeze, Pasta Bolognese, Tomato & Herb (skip), Thai Green Curry, Mushroom Pasta…
As you can see, Huel H&S offers from sweeter hot meals, to more spicy options and that variety is great.
YFood Alternatives FAQ
Yes, YFood is 95% healthier than most meals we consume, particularly on-the-go meals and sandwiches. It has a Nutriscore of A, provides you with all essential nutrients per meal, including vitamins and minerals we often don’t eat.
Yes, many alternatives to YFood are fully plant-based, like Huel Black, Complete 360 Meal, and Mana.
Yes, on this list we’ve included a few meal replacement shakes without artificial sweeteners.
Yes. Even YFood is lactose-free, but if you want a dairy-free meal replacement you can look at Complete 360 Meal.
No, YFood is not a protein shake, although it can be taken after a workout due to its high protein content.
Conclusion: What is the YFood Alternative?
I’ve talked extensively about the best YFood Alternatives in this piece.
In my opinion, after trying out hundreds of meal replacement shakes (not even kidding), Complete 360 Meal by Protein Works is the best alternative to YFood.
It’s super tasty, nutritionally better balanced, without as many sugars, has more protein and fiber, and it’s even more affordable when you buy in bulk. Texture-wise it’s a little thicker than YFood, which might be a negative for some, but I prefer them that way.
Besides, if you are looking for YFood RTD alternatives look at Mana. Their RTDs are more subtle, but better for long term consumption.
All in all, no matter what YFood alternative you are looking for, I hope you found one here.
Please leave a comment if you need more guidelines or have any questions. We will happily help you out.
1.2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
2. WHO Nutritional Guidelines.
3. EFSA Nutritional Guidelines.
4. More in: latestfuels.com/resources. A compilation with different governmental guidelines and references.
5. Ultimate Meal Replacement List. List all the brands.
6. Best Meal Replacement Shakes. Selection of the best RTDs, bars, organic shakes…
7. Game Changers. A documentary about the benefits of a plant-based diet.