The 4 Best Dairy Free Meal Replacement Shakes 2021
Lactose intolerance is a serious issue that affects 75% of the world’s population. Despite the prevalence of it, and the discomfort it causes healthy dairy-free meals might be hard to find. That’s where the best dairy-meal replacements will be able to help you. They are an easy solution for a healthy meal on the go, at the office or at home.
While finding the top dairy free meal replacements shouldn’t be hard, you might often find shakes filled with artificial ingredients, as well as, generally low quality products. That is why I have personally tested over 35 different dairy free shakes and compiled a list of the best here.
I have taken into account the quality of the ingredients, the completeness, source of protein, and of course the taste and texture of the shakes. This list of the top dairy free drinks is the honest result of all the testing carried over the last two years.
Meet the Expert
I’m Enaut, the owner of Latestfuels and I dedicate my life to testing all the meal replacement shakes in the market.
Over the last two years, I’ve been lucky enough to convert my passion into my job. I care about the details and I try to provide with the finest information to the readers. Then, you can feel safe with the choice that you make.
Enjoy your meal shake!
Product NamePriceScoreBuy Now
1. Ambronite Complete Meal Shake
- No dairy, fully plant based, non-GMO, gluten free
- Great bulk discounts and 15% OFF when subscribed
- Now also available as Keto powder
- Best Chocolate tasting shake
- Starting price is high
- Free shipping stars at $150
Ambronite has some of the best plant based meal replacement shakes. Their formulas are based on real food and no artificial ingredients. As such, they are gentle to the stomach, and even improve your gut health. On top of that, they have some of the best nutritionally rounded shakes. Complete Meal Shake is a premium smoothie like meal replacement that will boost your mood and health.
Alternatively enjoy, Balanced Meal Shake, which is the best chocolate tasting shake I have tried. Similarly to CMS, all the nutrients come from real food and it’s dairy free. It is even more affordable! Both are highly recommended. Furthermore, you can try Keto Meal Shake, Ambronite’s fat burning formula. In fact, Keto Meal Shake is the best dairy free meal replacement shake to lose weight with.
Save 25% now when you use the code LATESTFUELS or click the link above! Works in both US and international stores.
|per serving||CMS||RI (%)
2. Complete 360 Meal
- Tons of high quality protein
- Free of lactose, maltodextrin and added sugar
- 30g of protein, high in fibre and low in sugar
- Excellent taste
- Very affordable, particularly when making use of discounts
- Only 3 flavours to choose from
- US needs to buy from GBP shop
Complete 360 meal is the real deal; one of the healthiest shakes as well as tastiest that you can buy. On top of that, thanks to the fantastic discounts (like LATESTFUELS40- 40% off), you can get each meal under $1.5.
When it comes to nutrition, Complete 360 meal is a vegan shake, however, it does not use soy protein. Instead, they use a blend of pea, rice and hemp protein to provide you with a complete amino acid profile. Besides this, it’s a low sugar, high fibre and high protein shake. A filling and satisfying shakes that makes you feel good.
Lastly, there’s the taste. These are mouthwatering shakes, particularly Double Milk Chocolate. Without a doubt one of the best chocolate shakes you can buy.
Enjoy free shipping to the US for orders over $100. For Europe and the UK this requirement is even lower.
|per serving||Complete360||RI (%)
3. Ample V
- The best US based dairy free shakes
- High quality ingredients
- No artificial sweeteners, no artificial flavours, no soy, no dairy, no gluten
- Includes probiotics and prebiotics
- Price higher than the average shake
- Only original flavour available
- Fails to provide all micronutrients
Ample V is a great dairy free meal replacement shake, with no artificial additives and all natural ingredients. The plant-based formula is packed with organic greens, complete protein sources and healthy fats.
Not only that, but Ample adds some probiotics and prebiotics to their shakes to help you with the digestion. With more than 4billion CFUs (over 4 times what you find in a yogurt), they support your gut microbiome.
You can buy Ample V on practical bottles filled with powder, best suited to consume on the go; or the big pouches, that will help you save some money. It is also a more environmentally friendly way to consume Ample.
|per serving||Ample V||DV (%)
- Offers both Powder and Ready to Drink
- Low GI, gluten free, soy-free
- High in protein: 30g per serving
- Over 4 flavours to choose from
- Not the best tasting
- Gluten free option is more expensive than the normal
Huel is one of the best meal replacement companies that delivers quality shakes and great customer support. Huel’s meal replacement powders are dairy free, plant based and packed with nutrients. Not only that, but they have one of the widest arrays of flavours available.
Besides the powders, they also offer bars and ready to drink alternatives, so you can enjoy your meals on the go. These two are a bit more expensive than the powder, though.
You can also opt for Huel Black, which has even more protein and fewer carbs (ergo more fats). It is still a non-dairy shake, but ideal for weight loss and also to fuel your workouts with the extra protein. It comes in Vanilla and Chocolate, from which I think Vanilla is best.
|per serving||Huel Powder||DV (%)
|of which added (g)||1.0||2.0|
Why Go Dairy Free?
As mentioned at the start, it might not even be a choice. 75% of the world’s population lacks the ability to digest lactose (main component in milk), which causes discomfort. These might be bloating, gas and abdominal cramps.
Nevertheless, it can also be a personal choice to stop eating or drinking dairy. One of the main reasons for that is to reduce the environmental impact that each of us has, since the dairy industry is one of the biggest sources of CO2 contamination.
What Are the Issues Going Dairy Free?
No matter your reasoning behind removing dairy from your diet, you need to make sure you are getting high quality protein. In fact, many of the best protein sources come from milk: whey protein, milk protein and casein, namely. These are complete sources that provide you with all the essential amino acids that your body needs. Not only that, but they have some of the highest absorption rates, making them the gold standards of protein sources.
Plant-based proteins, on the other hand, often lack some essential amino acid. For instance, pea protein is low in methionine. One of the few complete sources is soy protein isolate. Otherwise, manufacturers tend to mix two different proteins to make it complete, such as pea and rice protein.
Looking at this is important and has been one of the points that I have looked at when deciding which were the best dairy free meal replacement shakes.
What Other Factors Have I Looked At?
Besides the above mentioned, there are other important factors to take into consideration when looking at the best lactose-free meal replacements:
- Taste and texture. Obviously one of the most important factors is how palatable the shakes are. Luckily, I have tried over 75 shakes over the past two years, and I have been able to find out which ones are best. Even if taste can be very subjective, I found out that people tend to agree with my recommendations.
- Use of whole ingredients. Many meal replacement manufacturers tend to use more processed ingredients in order to save money. While they do deliver the essential nutrients, the matrix in which they are delivered its lost. Plus, you might lose important compounds like antioxidants that have key roles in a healthy diet.
- Price. Needless to say, this is often one of the deciding factors for most consumers.
- Extras. Some brands go beyond providing you with the essential nutrition and add probiotics, antioxidants, prebiotics, lack of added sugars…
Conclusion: The Best Dairy Free Meal Replacement Shake is
… probably Ambronite Complete Meal Shake. It has a great balance of high quality ingredients, while providing you all your body needs (macro/micronutrients) from natural sources. This is, no synthetic vitamins or minerals, no added sugars, no additives, nothing. Just plain food.
Ambronite also offers Balanced Meal Shake which has the best chocolate flavoured shake: a rich, dark and deep chocolate. This is a more affordable option, but still a great dairy free shake.