9 of the Best Soy Free Meal Replacement & Protein Powders (2023)
Looking for a soy-free meal replacement shake? You’re in luck! I’ve compiled a list of the best soy-free meal replacement shakes that are available to you right now.
With so many different brands and flavors to choose from, you’re sure to find the perfect shake for your needs.
Not only are these shakes soy-free, but they are also packed with essential vitamins and minerals that your body needs. Plus, they taste great too – so you won’t have to worry about sacrificing flavor for nutrition.
In theory, soybeans are a great addition to the best vegan meal replacement shakes, as they are a complete protein, meaning they contain all the essential amino acids your body needs. They’re also low in saturated fat and a good source of fiber.
In addition, soybeans are packed with nutrients like vitamins A, B, and E, as well as minerals like calcium, iron, and magnesium.
However, if you are looking for a soy-free meal replacement you are also aware of the issues:
- Most of the soy used in food is genetically modified
- Soy is a major source of phytoestrogens
- Some studies have linked soy consumption to an increased risk of breast cancer, although the evidence is far from conclusive
- May interfere with thyroid function and disrupt the delicate balance of hormones in the body
For those looking for a healthy meal replacement shake, there are now plenty of options that are soy-free and provide all the nutrients you need without any of the potential risks.
Find the Best Soy-Free Meal Replacement and Protein Shakes
I have divided this list into two sections.
In the first part, I will recommend you meal replacement shakes without soy. These are drinks that will provide you with all the nutrients you need.
#1 Rootana – Best Soy-Free Meal Replacement
- Chocolate shake is out of this world
- Vegan, soy-free, no artificial sweeteners
- 400kcal, 21g of protein
#2 LyfeFuel – Best Soy-Free Meal Replacement for Weight Loss
- One of the healthiest shakes you can buy
- Ultra rich in nutrients
- Made from 32 whole food ingredients
- 18g of plant-based protein/serving
- Includes probiotics, antioxidants, greens…
- Superb taste
In the second part, I will list the best soy-free protein powders. Unlike the previous, these shakes are primarily a boost to your protein intake. But more on that later.
Four Sigmatic – Best Soy-Free Protein Powder
- Fully plant-based
- Added mushrooms to boost energy and mood
- Complete amino acid profile
- Delicious creamy cacao taste
Meet the Expert
Hi! My name is Enaut and I’m the owner of Latestfuels. This is the home of meal replacements and nutritional supplements. You will find the latest info and reviews on the site.
I am an avid consumer of meal replacements, and I believe they’ve greatly boosted my nutrition. Therefore, I am here to share what I’ve learned over the last few years!
Let’s find the right soy-free shake for you!
Top Soy Free Meal Shakes at a Glance
|Rating||Best Soy Free|
|#1 Rootana Real Food Shakes||91%||Best Value|
|#2 Lyfefuel Daily Essential||90%||Best Weight Loss|
|#3 Kachava||89%||Most Flavors|
|#4 Complete 360||88%||Best Affordable|
|#5 Huel Black||85%||Popular|
|#6 Orgain RTD||83%||Best Soy Free RTD|
|Four Sigmatic||85%||Best Soy Free Protein Shake|
|Orgain Protein||83%||Best Soy-Free Organic Protein|
|Bulk||81%||Best Soy-Free Protein in the UK|
|Naked Vegan||80%||Best High Calorie|
Best Soy Free Meal Replacement Shakes and Protein Powders
1.Rootana Real Food shake
- 100% Plant-based and soy-free
- Best-tasting chocolate shake
- 21g of protein, 7g of fiber
- Contains all your body needs
- Contains gluten
- No probiotics
Rootana is the best value meal soy free replacement shake you can buy.
They offer an excellent vegan shake, at half the cost of premium alternatives. While we do love premium shakes like LyfeFuel and Ka’chava (our next picks), they will not fit everybody’s budgets.
For them, Rootana will offer a shake that’s 95% as healthy, equally tasty (or even tastier) at a more affordable price.
As a matter of fact, Rootana is still one of the healthiest meal replacement shakes you can buy. It contains no soy, no highly processed carbs, no artificial sweeteners (not even stevia), and has all the nutrients your body needs.
Considering that recent studies have found that artificial sweeteners can negatively affect your gut microbiome (healthy bacteria), this is a huge plus.
Each serving will provide you with 400kcal, 21g of protein, 7g of fiber, and at least 20% of your DV for vitamins and minerals.
But what really made us fall in love with Rootana is their chocolate shake. A dark rich chocolate flavor, clean without any nasty aftertaste, it’s one of the best-tasting meal replacement shakes on the market.
|per serving||Daily Essential||DV (%)|
2.Lyfefuel Daily Essentials
Best Weight Loss
- Vegan, soy free, gluten free, whole food ingredients
- Includes digestive enzymes, probiotics for gut health
- 18g of protein per 110kcal
- Science-backed formula
- Rich in micronutrients
- Premium price
- Not rich in fats
One of my most recent discoveries, Lyfefuel Daily Essentials is an absolute gem.
This soy free meal replacement shake is 100% vegan, made with whole food ingredients, no artificial ingredients, and a clear focus on providing you with the healthiest shake possible.
In fact, Daily Essentials’ aim is to provide you with nutrients that you are lacking in your diet (key vitamins and minerals), not those that you might have in excess (calories).
Thus, they formulated their shake to provide you with extra vitamin B12, vitamin D3, K2, A, E etc. These are incredibly important in cellular mechanisms (synthesis, messaging), molecular repair and have positive short and long-term impacts on your health.
Thus, after regularly consuming the Daily Essentials shake, you will notice improvements in your energy levels, mood, and even skin. It’s surprising the positive impact good nutrition can have on your health.
Unfortunately, this won’t be the cheapest soy-free shake you can buy. They offer 2 flavors, from which I would recommend chocolate.
|per serving||Daily Essential||DV (%)|
- Delicious, sweet and smooth shakes
- 70+ superfoods
- All from real food ingredients
- 240kcal, 25g of protein, and all the vitamins and minerals
- 5 great flavors
- Not cheap
Ever since we first tried it Ka’chava is been one of our favorite meal replacement shakes. This premium all-natural shake contains over 70 superfoods, tons of protein, plenty of fiber, and all your body needs.
All of this with no soy, no gluten, no artificial sweeteners, and all from real food ingredients. Plus, they also add probiotics, digestive enzymes, and adaptogens to boost all areas. This premium blend is what sets Ka’chava apart.
However, despite the fact that the nutritional values Ka’chava offers are extraordinary, it’s not what our US writer loved most about Ka’chava shakes. What Johnny liked most about these soy-free shakes is the taste. All flavors Ka’chava offers are no less than really good, and some are just excellent.
Where’s the catch? Well, unfortunately, Ka’chava shakes are quite pricey. If you have the budget, they are amazing and well worth your money.
4. Complete 360 Meal
- Low GI
- Low in sugar
- High in protein (30g/serving)
- Very affordable
- Great tasting
- US shipping takes 2-5 days
- No gluten-free version available
Complete 360 meal is a more affordable soy-free meal replacement shake. Not only that but a well-rounded healthy shake that provides you with excellent nutrition. In fact, it’s one of my go-to shakes on a daily basis.
The reason for this is the high protein content, 30g of protein from a pea+rice+hemp protein blend for optimal amino acid delivery. Plus, it also offers tons of fibre; and it’s very low in sugar. This makes for a very healthy combo.
Besides, you will also get omega-3 fatty acids, all the vitamins and minerals, plus some probiotics to help you with digestion.
Nonetheless, one of the aspects I like the most about Complete 360 Meal is the taste. Double Milk Chocolate is among the best-tasting shakes that I’ve tried (and I’ve tried over 200). Vanilla and Strawberry are also good.
Prices might seem high at first, but you can always use the discounts that they offer and get the best deal for yourself!
|per serving||Complete360||RI (%)|
5. Huel Black
- Gluten-free, no artificial sweeteners, vegan
- 40g of protein
- Tons of flavors
- Great bulk + subscription discounts
- Chocolate and Berry are not great
- Thicker than other shakes
Huel Black is one of the most popular low-carb meal replacement shakes available in the world. This drink is free of soy, fully plant based, and provides you with all the essential nutrients your body needs, including 40g of protein per serving.
This last is perhaps one of the keys to Huel Black’s success. Their high protein formula combined with the low GI, gluten-free carbs has been incredibly well-received.
Personally, while I was always a fan of the nutritional side, the taste didn’t do it for me. That was until I discovered Salted Caramel. Absolutely delicious. Where other flavors failed to mask the background flavor, Salted Caramel blends itself very well with it and gives you a fantastic soy-free shake.
Therefore, with Huel Black you will be able to enjoy a nice shake, that’s affordable and provides you with exactly what your body needs.
|per serving||Huel Black||DV (%)|
6. Orgain All-in-One
Best Soy Free RTD
- Handy format to drink anywhere
- USDA organic certified
- Available in whey- and plant-based
- Easy to drink
- Includes probiotics and greens
- High in sugars and low in fiber
Orgain is another US-based brand that does soy-free nutritional shakes. They have a wide array of high-quality products, but I’ve chosen their ready-to-drink formula due to its smoothness and unique format (compared to the rest).
Besides the unique format, it is worth mentioning that all Orgain shakes are organic and soy free. The All-in-One RTD is available in both vegan and whey-based formulas. The plant-based replaces soy with organic pea protein and organic chia seeds (16g per 220kcal!).
Another distinguishing feature of Orgain’s RTDs is the smoothness and taste of the shakes. You will love the delicious Creamy Chocolate Fudge and the Iced Cafe Mocha flavors!
|per serving||Orgain All in One||DV (%)|
Best Soy-Free Protein Powders
1. Four Sigmatic
- 18g of quality protein blend: hemp, pea, chia, pumpkin
- Vegan, organic and without artificial sweeteners
- Mouthwatering taste, top 2
- Extra greens and adaptogens to boost focus and reduce stress
- Only 2 flavours
Four Sigmatic’s plant-based protein is a little bit more than just protein. It will, of course, offer you 18g of complete protein without soy; but it will also provide you with more nutrients and no crap ingredients.
They use a unique blend of organic pea, chia, pumpkin, and hemp protein to make sure you get all the amino acids you need. But this blend also helps make the shake taste better, and does not need to hide the strong pea protein flavor (not great) like others do.
This, paired with the delicious creamy dark chocolate taste makes the shakes irresistible in my opinion.
Thus, for me, Four Sigmatic protein is one of the best soy-free protein powders you can get. Particularly in the US, with free fast shipping.
|per serving||Four Sigmatic||DV (%)|
|of which added (g)||2.0||4|
2. Orgain Protein & Superfoods
- Organic soy free protein powder
- Includes green superfoods
- 0g of added sugars, 6g of fiber
- Organic pea, brown rice and chia seed protein blend
- High in fats
- Lower protein % than others
Another great soy free shake by Orgain; this time focusing on providing you with high quality plant-based protein. Instead of soy, Orgain uses a blend of organic pea, brown rice and chia seed protein to which they add their custom 50 superfood blend.
Why would I need superfoods on my no soy protein powder? These provide you with extra nutrients (mostly vitamins and minerals) and phytonutrients that will boost the absorption and efficiency.
As such, each serving will provide you with 21g of protein, 6g of fiber and 0 added sugars.
|per serving||Protein & Superfoods||DV (%)|
|of which added (g)||0.0||0|
3. Bulk Powders Vegan
- High quality protein blend for optimal protein absorption
- High protein %, not many fillers
- Includes digestive enzymes
- 10 different flavours to choose from; including unflavoured
- Not the cheapest
Bulk Powder’s vegan protein shake is the best soy-free protein powder in the UK. The British brand offers a highly concentrated plant-based protein blend with 23g of protein per 130kcal (very low carb content!).
The key ingredients of one of the purest vegan protein powders without soy are: pea protein isolate, brown rice protein, pumpkin seed protein, flaxseed powder, and quinoa flour. This ensures that you get a complete amino acid profile, unlike most single vegan sources (pea, rice etc).
Furthermore, this protein powder is also gluten-free, lactose free and contains digestive enzymes to help you with digestion. All this, is topped up with an excellent taste backed up by more than 780 positive reviews. It’s not only me who likes them.
|per serving||Bulk Vegan Protein||RI (%)|
|of which added (g)||0.0||0|
4. Vegan Weight Gainer
- Ideal for those looking to put on weight
- Orgaic pea + rice protein blend
- Gluten-free, soy-free and GMO-free
- Only suited for those looking for high calorie meal
- It’s mostly carbohydrates
Naked Nutrition’s Vegan Weight Gainer is a bit of an odd one on this list; since it’s a high-calorie protein shake without soy. In fact, strictly speaking, is not purely protein but also loaded with carbs to help you put on muscle more easily.
Nevertheless, each 1,230kcal serving contains 50g of soy-free protein (rice and pea protein blend)! The powder is gluten-free and GMO free and contains high quality organic ingredients.
This would be my choice if I were looking to put some weight on, but didn’t want to take the usual weight gainers or protein powders that contain soy.
|per serving||Vegan Weight Gainer||DV (%)|
|of which added (g)||0.0||0|
Let’s Talk Soy
Soy is a widely used ingredient in the food industry. It is present in more foods than you might expect including oils, tomato soup (as emulsifier), protein powders and nutritional supplements, sauces (soy flour)… Despite being used widely, there has always been a shadow of concern about the negative effects of soy.
Among those negative effects are fear that might cause breast cancer, thyroid problems and dementia. This fear is partially due to soy being high in isoflavones. These are plant estrogens similar to what humans produce but much weaker. However, the effects of these might vary depending on the ethnicity, hormone levels, or type of soy being used (thus different results in scientific studies).
Is It Safe to Consume Soy?
In spite of what I mentioned earlier, the short answer is yes. Most studies indicate that it has neutral or positive effects on health; and it is very nutrient dense (vitamin B, fiber, complete protein etc.).
However, it is advised to consume minimally processed soy in order to avoid problematic antinutrients.
Soy Protein Isolate and Common Concerns
Even after all major health organizations (ESFA, FDA, WHO) consider soy and soy protein isolate safe to consume for the majority of the population; there are a few concerns:
- GMO origin. Most of the soy produced in the United States is genetically modified. There is much controversy around genetically modified food and possible negative effects; even though, current understanding says they are safe to consume
- Soy protein might contain anti-nutrients. In fact, most vegetables are likely to contain anti-nutrients. In the case of soy, it contains phytates, which reduce the absorption of zinc and iron.
- Residue chemical. Extracting the protein from the soybeans is a process carried through acid washing. This chemical process can leave some residues behind like hexane. Nonetheless, it is unlikely that these metals are going to be in toxic levels.
- Upset stomach. To many folks soy may cause digestive issues, or in the worse cases, you may get an allergic reaction to it.
The Best Soy Protein Isolate Alternatives
Because of the reasons mentioned above, or others of your own, you might have pivoted into looking for soy-free protein shakes. If you don’t mind consuming dairy; then the best alternative is simple: whey protein concentrate or whey protein isolate. In this case, I would recommend you look at Impact Whey (soy-free whey protein), as previously mentioned.
When buying dairy-based protein powders, make sure to check the ingredients since they might contain soy lecithin (small amounts).
However, it is very likely that you are looking for plant-based alternatives. Here, things get complicated.
Soy Protein Isolate vs Other Vegan Isolates
There are many non-soy protein powder isolates: pea, hemp, rice, and peanut butter… just to name a few. However, ALL of them have one issue soy protein isolate doesn’t: they are not complete protein sources.
What do I mean by “complete”? Dietary protein is composed of 20 amino acids (building blocks); only nine of which are essential. However, not all protein sources contain all nine in an adequate fashion. This means that you will need to consume more plant protein a day or combine different isolates to get the best results.
We can also observe this in the table below; and why pea and brown rice are considered complementary:
|Complete Protein (min%)||Pea Protein||Brown Rice|
That is why in my best protein powders without soy I tend to prioritize plant protein blends.
Things to Look Out For When Choosing Protein Powders without Soy
So, let’s end this mini-overview on soy protein isolate and the soy-free alternatives by highlighting a few factors that you need to watch out:
- Hidden soy. Even whey protein meal shakes might contain soy. How? Many brands include soy lecithin in small amounts to improve the texture of the shake.
- Protein quantity per serving. Many soy isolates are going to be 90% pure or upwards. This means that most of your calories will come from protein. However, many vegan soy-free protein powders might contain unwanted fillers (carbs, fats etc).
- Source of protein. I strongly recommend you opt for a blend of plant-based, likely with pea protein as one of the ingredients. Avoid protein blends that contain solely nuts or seeds. Mix grains, seeds and beans to make the most out of your protein powder.
- Taste. One thing that goes often unmentioned is that each protein source has its own flavour. This affects the taste of the shake. For example, pea protein can be quite unpleasant. Whey, on the other hand, has a very milky taste.
Soy Free Protein Powders vs Soy Free Meal Replacement Shakes
Many of you might use your protein powder to replace one of your meals with. However, there are healthier options than doing that: meet meal replacement shakes. These are also considered complete food, and they aim to provide you with all the essential nutrients per meal.
Therefore, whenever you don’t have time for a proper meal, you can use a soy-free meal shake to ensure that you are getting all the nutrients you need. Including fats, complex carbohydrates, protein and micronutrients (vitamins & minerals).
For instance, I used to struggle to get my protein in the morning so I used to eat oatmeal and a protein shake (with a banana or another condiment). However, doing this was tedious and sometimes I didn’t have enough time. That’s when I switched to meal replacement shakes. One shake provided me with the same nutrients my old meal did, but with half the hassle.
My Breakfast Example
Let me show you:
Oatmeal + 25g of Whey Protein
Calories: 400kcal, 20% of DV.
Protein: 35g, 70% of DV.
Carbs: 49g, 18% of DV.
of which sugars: 13g, 26% of DV.
Fats: 7g, 9% of DV.
saturated: 2g, 10% of DV.
Fiber: 6g, 21% of DV.
Salt: 0.5g, 11% of DV.
Micronutrients: less than 20% on most micronutrients.
Exact composition: 60g of oatmeal, with 250ml of skimmed milk and 25g of whey protein concentrate.
Soy Free Meal Replacement
Calories: 400kcal, 20% of DV.
Protein: 30g, 60% of DV.
Carbs: 46g, 17% of DV.
of which sugars: 1g, 2% of DV.
Fats: 13g, 17% of DV.
saturated: 2.5g, 13% of DV.
Fiber: 7g, 25% of DV.
Salt: 0.7g, 12% of DV.
Micronutrients: at least 20% of DV for all vitamins and minerals.
So, as you can observe, nutritionally they are very similar; with the added positive that meal replacement shakes also provide you with vitamins and minerals.
Besides the above mention, there are other reasons to like meal replacements:
- Easily adaptable to your diet. Soy-free, gluten-free, organic, paleo or keto. No matter what your dietary needs are, there’s a shake that will fit your needs.
- Choose your macros. With meal replacement shakes is easy to tailor the macros to your needs.
- Never get bored. There are tons of flavours and textures out there, that will allow you to diversify easily.
- Control what you eat on the go. Don’t be limited by where you are. Get the meal you need at the office while traveling or at home.
- Save money and time.
Therefore, if you didn’t know about meal replacements I hope that I’ve made a good case to switch to them. If you were aware, then you’ll probably already know all this!
Conclusion: The Best Soy Free Meal Replacement Shake and Protein Powder are
… Rootana and Four Sigmatic Plant Protein. Both are incredibly high-quality soy-free shakes that will help you boost your protein intake or replace your meals.
That said, LyfeFuel offers both our #2 soy-free meal replacement shake and soy-free protein shake. For a soy-free diet, I recommend their 21-day transformation bundle. The best way to improve your diet and make a noticeable impact on your health.
There are, nonetheless, more alternatives that might suit you better depending on your requirements. Thus, I have tried to cover different areas with my best soy-free powder picks.
Choose wisely and enjoy the benefits of a clean diet!
1.US Dietary Guidelines 2015-20.
2. FDA Daily Values.
3. Protein and Amino Acid Requirements in Human Nutrition by WHO.
4. Ultimate Meal Replacement List.
5. Latestfuel’s Best Meal Replacement Shakes.
7. Amino Acid Composition of an Organic Brown Rice Protein Concentrate and Isolate Compared to Soy and Whey Concentrates and Isolates.